av3itemschars.txt

Avadon 3 Player

1. Is detailed information available about the format of items in the av3itemschars.txt file?  if yes, where?

2. More specificallly, I want to change an item so it can be equipped by a Sorcerer.  It is currently prohibited from being worn by a Sorcerer.

3. Even more specifically :), I'm trying to fix the bug where Scorched Greaves have +1 Focus Mastery, which only applies to Sorcerers, but the Scorched Greaves can't be worn by a Sorcerer.  Yes, I've read the related forum post that says +1 Focus Mastery will apply to whomever can wear the Scorched Greaves.  Like all RPG players, I'm a little OCD :), and I want the Sorcerer to wear the Scorched Greaves so she can get the +1 Focus Mastery.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Avadon 3 Player

Hello Avadon 3 Player,

Welcome to the forums!

I've had a quick look, and I've come up with a way to alter the Scorched Greaves for you. I've also written a little about the general format of the items in av3itemschars.txt underneath. Before going on to the solution, though, I think it's worth mentioning for reference that the Scorched Greaves giving a sorcerer skill isn't actually a bug. It's intentional. According to the designer, he wanted the strange magic of the greaves to make other characters behave a little bit more like a sorcerer:

http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/22430-scorched-greaves-glitch/?tab=comments#comment-292662

In order to allow the Scorched Greaves to be equipped by a sorcerer, first make a copy of av3itemschars.txt and put it in a safe place. This is just to make sure that you can revert back to the original game should there be any problems. In the version that is still in the scripts folder, find the Scorched Greaves (item 213), and add this line:

it_sorceress = 0;

Make sure it's somewhere before 'begindefineitem 214;'. Crucially, you also need to add:

it_sorceress = 1;

to the following item (the Pitted Greaves). This allows the Scorched Greaves to be worn by a sorcerer, but prevents all the other greaves from also being allowed to be worn by the class!

It's worth noting that the Scorched Greaves require a minimum strength of 10 to be worn, and it's possible that your sorcerer might not have reached that level of strength when you first find the greaves. Even making the alteration, it's possible your sorcerer won't be able to wear them! One other option, then, is to make a different change. Instead of allowing the item to be worn by a sorcerer, you could change its properties to not add Focus Mastery, but have a different effect. For instance, you can revert the item's effect to that of Avadon 2 (adding 20% fire resistance), by changing these lines:

it_stats_to_affect 0 = 58;
it_stats_addition 0 = 1;

to:

it_stats_to_affect 0 = 206;
it_stats_addition 0 = 20;

For reference, the format of av3itemschars.txt takes the same sort of format as many of Spiderweb's recent games, but the Avadon series as a whole does make a few changes. For a quick summary, items are grouped into sets (such as, say, a set of shields, a set of helmets and a set of cloaks). The first item in each set is fully defined, which includes information about which characters can equip these types of items, the minimum strength needed to hold them, the amount of protection they provide etc.. Each subsequent item just updates this base item. This will include its name, and icon, but not necessarily anything else. If the item is more or less powerful than the base item in one or more stats, this will be changed.

The items generally seem to be arranged so that they become more powerful as you move down a set. I'm guessing it's arranged like this to allow an easy way to balance items over the course of the game. It means that the items are all going to be consistent, and can easily be made to be consistently more powerful by only ever updating the item stats.

The characters that can use an item are defined by the variables it_sorceress, it_shaman etc.. If these have a value of 0, the class can use the item. A value of 1 means they can't use the item. A value of 2 means that only that class can use the item.

Edited by Ess-Eschas
Fixing comment about variables