Avernum: Escape from the Pit Steam Problems

moonmonday

Update: I bought the Steam version of Avernum: Escape From the Pit and it has issues with lag. However, it is the OpenGL version that is problematic, as I found when I downloaded the demo and tried the DirectX exe included with it.

Unfortunately no such exe is included with Steam's version, which causes problems.

So if anyone out there is frustrated by Steam's version of Avernum, I would suggest downloading the demo, trying the DirectX exe in the install directory, and seeing if that fixes your problems. If so, contact Spiderweb's support and let them know your Steam name and request an unlock key.

I'm having the exact same issues. My guess is it is my video card driver on Windows 7. I have a 2.67ghz i7 and 6 gigs of ram but an old X1900 that ATI doesn't support anymore...

The directX demo works perfectly fine though, but since that doesn't come with the steam version I can't play the game without watching the text slowly fade over and the cursor move slowly behind the mouse.

I sent an email about this, but I understand indie developers and decided to try here too. I haven't followed this series(I didn't even realize they kept making these games), but I remember playing Exile back on AOL and the first Avernum years later. One of my favorite RPGs.

i have a similar problem. i have an nvidea geforce 8800gtx

and i have dozens of indie games that all use opengl(opengl will not work for me)i can freaking run skyrim and other very new games but somehow opengl refuses to work.

if u can somehow get steam to give me an option to install this direct x version people speak off...this like several other games i was pretty exited about and it rly sucks that i gotta as it to list of openglgames my pc wont play.

(this was a pretty expensive card when i bought it and since it all big titles run just fine i cant go upgrade to play these cheap games)

srr if my post isnt to nice...just frustrated.

If the directx version doesn't ship with the Steam version, you can download the demo of Avernum from Spiderweb's site and request a registration key from Jeff, the lead programmer. He's pretty cool about these things usually.

Before you do though, just double check that a directx version isn't tucked away somewhere; the support FAQ states that:

Quote:
The DirectX version ships with the game.

Go into your Avernum folder (Located in: Program Files/Spiderweb Software/Avernum - Escape From the Pit") and run "Avernum DirectX.exe". This version should work.

If you are still having problems, contact us at support@spiderwebsoftware.com.