I think the video card fried on my laptop, anything I can do?

Enraged Slith

I'm not at my computer at the moment, but I think it's an hp pavilion dv6000. I was playing a game and the screen started flickering with a bunch of tiny black boxes. Then my computer crashed. When I tried restarting it, it would keep shutting off before loading, so I figured it might be overheated and I let it cool off for a while. When I tried later, the computer loaded fine but without a display, just a black screen. Any suggestions, or do you think it's done?

It's a relatively old computer, so I was expecting it to die eventually anyway, but I'm concerned about quite a bit of stuff I have stored on it. If you have any ideas on how to retrieve files off of something like this, I'd appreciate the advice.

Quote:
It's a relatively old computer, so I was expecting it to die eventually anyway, but I'm concerned about quite a bit of stuff I have stored on it. If you have any ideas on how to retrieve files off of something like this, I'd appreciate the advice.

If the problems relate to the video card and other processing hardware your hard drive is probably unaffected. All that you would need to do is remove it and put it in or attach it to a different, working computer to access your data again.

If you're budget conscious then you might want to try opening it up and seeing if it is the video card that is fried. A new video card is not cost-prohibitive, the way that a bad motherboard would be. Video cards can be separate or part of the motherboard. Often, bad on-board video (video right on the motherboard) can be bypassed with a jumper, which makes the computer look to a video card slot. Either way, that's inexpensive.

I'm not sure what the symptoms of just a monitor going bad are? Do you have another monitor to check? Or, another computer to verify if the monitor is good or bad?

The other poster is correct on the HD probably being fine. Lesson learned? Back up data that you are concerned about. Hard drives are cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
I just purchased a new computer and I noticed a few unplugged cables in the tower. Is this typical, or should I show my tower to someone who knows what they're doing?

That is normal. There are often extra power connectors for adding additional components.