Geneforge 5 (Gamersgate): Can't register after update

Ignus

I have purchased the Gamersgate version of Geneforge 5 for Windows and was having trouble with it running rather slowly. After reading a bit I found out about the update and installed it (i.e. Downloaded the demo). The problem is, after I download the demo I can't type in the registration box, it will only allow numbers. I find this rather odd.

The demo itself works fine, better than the un-updated version, which makes the fact that it doesn't work even more frustrating.

As far as I can tell I'm not doing anything wrong. Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Cheers

(EDIT: Running Windows XP here)

After a little digging about it seems to be that the Gamersgate version uses a different format of registration key (letters and numbers) from the normal one (just numbers).

Is there any way for me to update my game? Or do I have to wait on a Gamersgate specific update?

This question from the GamersGate FAQ would seem to address a parallel situation:

Originally Posted By: GamersGate
I found a patch at the games official website and now the game is asking for a CD.

You can only use patches made for download versions. If the developer do not provide such patch and you think your game need the patch, please contact support@gamersgate.com about it. Include information about what game it is and the name of the patch you think we need to add. Please note, that it may take time to produce and acquire a patch, and that customer support has a main priority set to answering e-mails about problems, yet still your request will be transferred and handled after it is received and read.

Basically, it sounds like you need to ask them to make a GG-specific patch and hope they do it soon. I guess this is one of the downsides to using a service like GG.

Unfortunately I've seen this scenario before. In every case it has ended in finger pointing from both sides claiming a failure on the other's part, with customers stuck in the middle with half a game.

I have contacted Gamersgate but if they respond it would be the first time ever in a long line of unanswered e-mails. Also, isn't it ultimately Spiderweb's responsibility to give Gamersgate a patch or something? Surely they can't just do it themselves. (This isn't a sideways insult, I'm genuinely rather befuddled at the process)

Cheers smile

Honestly, your best hope is to email Spiderweb Software at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com and provide the name and contact details you used when you purchased from GamersGate. Spiderweb is usually pretty good about customer support, so Jeff might just give you a new registration code if you ask nicely.

The version of our game on Gamersgate is fully up to date. Our web site doesn't have a newer version.

Registering through the Gamersgate system doesn't register through our system. The software is entirely different. We don't have any access to their system, so we are powerless to register copies registered over there.

Contact me via e-mail and I'll see what I can do for you.

- Jeff Vogel