3 mages + 1 priest

I'm currently running a 3 mage + 1 priest party on Torment, and so far am having a rather easy time of cleaning out Khora-Vysss. My staple spell, icy rain, is a solid unripostable spell with which my three hasted mages can wipe out packs of enemies in a *single* round. Even better, it can wipe out turrets from a range at which the caster is safe from retaliation, and even hit enemies around corners.

It will be interesting to see how my mages will perform later in the game.

Might be a good idea to give one of your mages a few levels of priest spells as back-up, though. Otherwise, if your priest gets smoked in a tough fight, the rest will fall like dominoes.

On the other hand, I guess you'll need more than a few levels to get to the really awesome priest spells, so it might not be worth it at this point.

Originally Posted By: Turtle
Might be a good idea to give one of your mages a few levels of priest spells as back-up, though. Otherwise, if your priest gets smoked in a tough fight, the rest will fall like dominoes.
On the other hand, I guess you'll need more than a few levels to get to the really awesome priest spells, so it might not be worth it at this point.

It would be good to have a few levels of priest spells just so that I could focus fire with Repel Spirit, as disruption damage is the only type of damage mages cannot do.

On a slightly related subject, for the first time ever I managed to beat those three sentinels for the Dispel Barrier quest!

Cleaned up the Anama lands and survived the Darkside ambush with great ease (even managing to kill the characters with the airy greaves, wahoo!). Now I'm running around Highground without too much opposition. I'm going to discontinue playing for now, as class resumes tomorrow.

From what I have experienced, I can honestly say that substituting melee characters with mages is a vast improvement, and makes what I found to be an almost impossible experience tolerable. As of yet, enemies with resistance to all non-physical forms of damage are few and far between, and are dealt with with archery and summons. On the topic of summons, shades are invaluable. You want a source of reliable physical damage? These guys are it. Not only do they curse on contact, but they also resist ice and poison.

My team of four spellcasters (mage w. pointy stick, priest w. bow, priest/mage, and mage/priest) is now at Melanchion's keep and has had no trouble so far. In retrospect, I probably should have made the lead PC a priest rather than a mage, but the armour limitations have not been a problem. Especially since (and I didn't realize this before) anything that increases your To Hit % also increases your armour allowance. Nice.

And, yes, summons are invaluable. If I have to choose between many useless summons and two powerful ones, it's a no-brainer.

I just want to add:

Battle Frenzy + offensive spells = awesome!

Originally Posted By: Turtle
My team of four spellcasters (mage w. pointy stick, priest w. bow, priest/mage, and mage/priest) is now at Melanchion's keep and has had no trouble so far. In retrospect, I probably should have made the lead PC a priest rather than a mage, but the armour limitations have not been a problem. Especially since (and I didn't realize this before) anything that increases your To Hit % also increases your armour allowance. Nice.

And, yes, summons are invaluable. If I have to choose between many useless summons and two powerful ones, it's a no-brainer.

I just want to add:
Battle Frenzy + offensive spells = awesome!

Unlike the other disciplines, Battle Frenzy is the only one which applies the damage boost to ALL enemies hit by a multi-target spell. laugh

And yeah, I made my lead character a priest.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Qalnor
Wasn't this team pretty hard early on? I can see it being pretty unstoppable after you get enough magical efficiency, but I think you'd have to do a lot of running back to town.

No. I didn't run back to town any more frequently than I would with a 'generic' party, and I *very* rarely used energy potions.

BTW, my computer bombed and I lost all my A5 save games. *sigh* But I was doing very well in Vahnatai lands.