GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
Voxelated Voxelated

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,777
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:44 AM #1 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

Hi, I just joined the Spiderweb Forums to ask about a series I've had for a while, but only recently started playing: Geneforge.
I played the demo for the first one years and years ago (probably when I was 10) and I remember enjoying it a lot, so I bought the series on steam a year or two ago. Now, I've just started getting into it and I have over 80 hours logged on the first game (in just 1 playthrough!)

So, my question arises; what level were you when you completed the Shaper Crypt and Inner Crypt? I just completed these areas, holding onto the skin of my teeth on Normal with a level 18 Shaper (he was level 20 by the time I got out of there). My int was around 10 and I had 12 in all three of the 'general' stats, and my magic shaping was 13 while the others were 6. I ended up blowing 2 entire defense rods, 1 and a half attack rods, and some of my special spores.

My "arsenal", if you could call it that, was an Ur-Glaahk, 3/0/2/2, and 3 Searing Artilas, 0/3/2/2. I felt like I was severely underleveled, so what was the level Mr. Vogel was aiming for when he created that area? Was I on target?

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:30 AM #2 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

The correct level is whichever one allows you to complete it. :D But seriously, there's no "official" level threshold. The crypt is an endgame challenge, though, so I would guess mid-to-high 20s was the "expected" level for players to tackle it. So yeah, "severely underleveled" sound about right. ;)

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Sahuagin Slaggin' Sahuagin Slaggin'

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:41 AM #3 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

You're probably pretty underlevelled, but you do have a decent arsenal.  Shaping is very, very strong in the first game, and pushing Magic Shaping up sort of like you did is one of the strongest options available.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Voxelated Voxelated

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,777
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:29 AM #4 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

Good (or maybe not so) to see my suspicions are confirmed. I've finally completed the game as a Shaper;
Spoiler
I completed the game at level 20, the same level I exited the Crypt. Are you sure mid-to-high 20s was the appropriate level? I really couldn't find a whole lot of places to earn experience from; even some of the tanky monsters, like Battle Gammas and Cryodrayks, were only giving me single-digit to very low double-digit experience.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:32 AM #5 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

I believe the theoretical level limit in Geneforge 1 is 31, but it's pretty much impossible to get there without exploits. Low 20s is a pretty solid endgame level. Ultimately, the Shaper Crypts are designed to be extremely difficult optional challenge areas, and the bottom line is you found them hard because they're hard.

Nim Nim

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,802
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:48 AM #6 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

Lvl 30 is achievable in the Inner Crypt but that's a long and boring slog. Early 20s is plenty to beat everything, it's not as if a few skillpoints make you that much stronger (10-cap makes sure of that).

Sahuagin Slaggin' Sahuagin Slaggin'

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:03 AM #7 GF1: What level were you when you completed the Crypt?

It's not just a few skill points -- it's also your HP and Essence multipliers -- as well as extra levels for creations (if you haven't been buffing creation skill till the end).  Definitely not as critical as earlier level ups are, but not meaningless.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users