BoA Tweaks

UA

Firstly, personalities. What's the point of having a 'personality' variable if it's unused? Having to keep making the state flag higher as the more NPCs you add instead of starting at 1 for all NPCs and making the 'personality' flag make it independant is rather tiring. I think the following change is in order:

- Make not only state, but personality control which questions are displayed.

Also, what's the point of having Character IDs and Unique NPC flags if they're not used? It may be just me, but I can't see any use for them whatsoever, apart for reference purposes. Functions featuring "which_char" all seem to rely on the Creature ID shown when selecting the creature, which is decided automatically and cannot be changed: why? I figure it'd be much more flexible to make Character IDs the numbers you use for these calls.

BUT! Yes, I know what you're thinking. This will make existing scenarios break. There's a solution though. Things like this:

begindialogscript;

Have an optional line, something like this that goes below it:

version 2;

To indicate something along the lines of Version 2 of the BoA Script parser.

Comments?

Talking about tweaks, how about a new function that would call an external library (DLL in Windows)?

It may be really simple (like load library, call function, release library), Spidweb need only publish a .h file with the internal game data structures (or one of the BoA Editor might do) and add a new script function. After that, any desired functionality might be added to the game, without making it open source.

Ok, it's a wild idea. But at least it would make a great toy for programmers laugh The only bad thing I see is that this might release Spidweb from the need to update the engine smile