Gymnastic Skill (In A1)

So I am a-wandering around Blosk and encounter this actress who has offered to teach me 'Dancing' or Gymnastic skills.. Exactly how useful is it; what are its effects; how many levels should I buy; does it apply to the whole party or to one character that is selected?

Yanga

Gymnastics is a skill similar to dexterity, only (I think) a little more powerful, and doesn't count towards your base level in other skills. I actually find it quite useful, especially in melee. My personal preference is to buy 5 levels per character from her; it's expensive, I know, but afterwards, I rarely get hit in hand-to-hand or by missiles.

Gymnastics makes you dodge better and makes you move faster in combat. In other words, yes, it's like Dexterity. Once you've bought one point you can train in Gymnastics like any other skill, but it's a good idea to buy the five points you can get for coins first.

Five points of Gymnastics for all your party makes a significant difference. Everyone will go much earlier in combat order and your fighters can easily become almost untouchable.

—Alorael, who believes an early version of Avernum in fact allowed over 100% dodge. He's not certain invulnerability by Gymnastics was fixed, either.

I agree: If someone offers to teach you skills for cash, take it. Why spend the skill points when you don't have to? laugh

I wouldn't be surprised if, when combined with certain character traits, invulnerability becomes inevitible in melee. I still take a beating against strong spellcasters, though (like wizards and high priests).