InterClass

the custom, because he/she doesnt waste valuable skill points a decent player could invest in a specialized monster-character, whatever type he/she might want. the mage/priest combo with just enough melee skill to help himself through times of low mana or fighting vs eye beasts takes the cake, i think.

as a single, independent char of course.

I'd take a single character with decent fighting skill, high priest skill, and some mage skill over anything else. None of the preset skill allocations are something I'd want to use solo, although berserker isn't bad.

—Alorael, who thinks there may be a mistake here. Avernum "classes" just assign starting skill points for you. They have no effect at all past level 1. The only advantage is that some "classes" have more skill points than custom, but this is offset by the fact that many points are wasted in worthless skills.

lol. or what about the rebel. he could stand in front of a horde of angered alien beasts, wielding a steel transparent (+) saying "the surface belongs to us" and screaming through a megafone.

or a party of rebels. together, they could use a party skill, the "protest chain". defense bonus 50%, needs handcuffs.