Playing Exile III: Ruined World in the 2020s

cst1992

Hi all, first-time poster here!

I've picked up Exile III again, recently.

The first time I played this game was in 2003 I think, and like a typical 9-year-old, I played it all wrong. Still, the game is THE most favorite of mine among all Spiderweb games.

I had the free version back then (usually found on CDs having demos of popular games), and explored it completely. I remember thinking how far away Sharimik was and that I wasn't allowed to enter it even if I did get there, plus those annoying "you need to be registered to go further north" and "you need to be registered to enter" messages. Good times.

Years later when I had moved from Win 98 to XP I bought the full E3 and played it. It was a good feeling to finally beat it.

I also played A3 (the old one) and didn't like it much, so I bought the new A3 (2018) the day it came out and played it to its end.

Anyway, so I have picked this game up again and playing on Windows 11 (using otvdm) and the experience has been good so far. Closest thing to native that you can get, past the introduction of Windows 7. Also, playing when you are 10 and when you are 30 are different experiences for sure.