A:EftP - Made it out!

Had set aside E.f.t.P. for a few weeks / months. Returned to Avernum not knowing which way to go and had forgotten just about everything about the game. Most importantly, though, my team could not find their boat >.< {as usual - haha} (side note: boat mooring location remembrance apparently has been a life long nemesis - thinking back to one of the Ultimas where if I forgot where my boat was, it was pretty much gone forever lol)

The good news was my team were around level 24.

Plodded along pretty well after a few underworld forays. Finding the Dispel Barrier pedestal was a godsend. Basically, at that point, all the notes I had made months ago about barriers that I could not get through came in handy. Traipsed the team around dropping barriers left and right :)

Some mage at a Fort must have been cursing me for days when we dispelled his barrier creations - to tell the truth though, he needed to step up the defences a bit anyway.

In hindsight I guess I allowed my Team to get strong enough that some of the later encounters and areas were not as challenging as I thought they would be. Not sure what happened or how except that I must have been doing a lot of side quests or w/e and not checking back on an area as to whether it was currently do-able.

I don't know if this thread is making sense but I didn't want to put any descriptions or names or w/e that may give away an unwanted hint to a new player.

All in all Escape from the Pit was and is great imho. Not that I need to point that out here :)

P.S.

I would like to leave one recommendation for new players to Avernum: Escape from the Pit which I don't think is a spoiler or w/e. It only occurred to me through trial and error which afterwards I wished I had known/thought of from the beginning of the game.

Dying in games is inevitable - unless your one of those Ironmen types. I'm not an Ironman mode player {too lazy - haha} Dying a lot in a game is sometimes a bummer or deadens the enjoyment factor. Well, my little band of misfits was dying a lot at one point while exploring. Outdoor exploration can be troublesome, indoor exploration can be to some extent controlled though.

When exploring a new indoor area - exploring in combat mode is pretty handy. Walk the team one by one in to a new area leaving all but the scouting character in a safe/cleared area (like-next to the exit). That way, if the scout runs in to something very unpleasant - the rest of the team can start heading for the door - and hope that the scout makes it out alive.

Note: I don't think this was intended to be done based on some encounters playing out in a weird order when I would be exploring in a step-wise fashion. So if you want to play the game as the developer intended, move as a group in general.