A:EftP - Spoiler Alert - Now With Happy Ending!

I had read some of the tips and tricks here in the forums while playing the game on my iPad but I was also trying to play as much on my own as I could and limit cheats. After over 60 of hours of play on Casual level, I was able to defeat Grah-Hoth and went after King Hawthorne. I had seen Erika mention that five brooches were better but four would work, and I had four in hand. I really wish there was a warning that starting this task without all five brooches was a game-ender; my last save was made in the Castle before I killed the King and then I could not teleport back to Avernum. After at least 60 hours of solid playtime my entire team was wiped out along with all the abilities and gear I had earned in the game. This is EXTREMELY frustrating, as I'd busted my butt to get these characters set up. Since Avernum: EFTP only had six slots to save a game, I did not save multiple versions at different stages so I could back out of a fatal error like this. I love the game but am not sure I'll put another 60 hours in to get back to the point where I can have all five brooches and try this Quest once again. Since I'm playing on my iPad I do not believe there is any way to modify the saved game files to at least get my team back to Avernum before this happened. Any tips/tricks on how I might be able to get back would be greatly appreciated. I'll also accept sympathy if that is not possible. frown