A:EftP - Finished! (128 hours omg)

Has to be considered value for money, works out as a couple of pennies per hour. Not that it was all that interesting at times (I'd take out the guards saying 'Zzz' and 'Yawn' tbh, it just reminded me that, yes, I was actually quite bored doing virtual quests for virtual people wink ).

That last battle was a doozy to be sure, an' no mistake! eek

Have to agree with other posters about not being able to go back and loot the palace, not sure what's gained by 'instakil' in the main hall, after all you can loot and pillage the rest of Avernum with impunity (I did so, reluctantly, before taking on the Emperor as I didn't have enough XP IMO - I really didn't want to slaughter Kyass as I believed in his ideals. It did get easier to commit genocide after him though: I felt like I was Eldritch of Melbourne (or wotever his name) from M. Moorcock's books - didn't he destroy the entire human race at one point for some petty infringement (only ever read the back covers of those books many years back LOL)? Have to wonder why poor merchants and stallholders would want to come to the aid of the soldiers: they're only 'one-hit wonders' and die in droves: women, children, even cows! Yes, the cows came to attack me with their wet snouts, though their righteous nuzzling availed them nothing. Would have liked to have seen them turn into steak on their instant demise ;-)

The best thing about silencing the towns is just that: the silence. No more shouts of 'beebedank mordunk per neer' (or whatever it was) from that pesky kid . Also it was nice not to have to ask Bela to open that darn gate again. Cos I killed him. That'll learn ya Bela, u ignoramus, I told you I was important! grin

Erika really is a gr8 mage: she turned up again to congratulate me for my wonderful work (despite me murdering her in her own tower previously). Those guarding King Micah need to be sacked too (yes, murdered him too, sorry)! Funnily enough, none of that resulted in any adverse effect on my Reputation.

Didn't like the 30 pace limit - wanted to explore the Palace room by room using individual characters - some performing a holding action against the (infinite?) hordes. Unfortunately when you reach the limit, you can neither move towards nor away from the rest of the group, so in effect, you're immobilised duh!

Speaking of immobility, how come you can still parry and riposte whilst being stunned?

Oh yeah, re: missile weapons: it appears that the enemy can fire when next to you but you can't (except when a character gets charmed, then amazingly s/he CAN).

Also while I'm remembering stuff: In the final battle, I noticed a summoned creature re-appeared in front of my party even though I'd left him fighting a desperate rear guard action; now that's magic for you!

Overall, a gr8 game, reminded me of the good ol' days of Shard of Spring, Eternal Dagger and Phantasie III (on Commodore 128 in my case)... roll on the next one!

Congratulations! Glad you had a great time.

& that was Elric of Melibone? or Melnibone? in the books...It was a long time ago, but as I recall He didn't do in the whole human race. He got help from the neutal brothers who eradicated both the good & evil gods/powers sides freeing whomesoever to make their own fate...think that may have included the human race in at least one dimention through his soul eating blade. I read the books. You were wiser sticking to the back cover!

Parkeet

Originally Posted By: Pleiades
Eldritch of Melbourne

Originally Posted By: Parakeet
Elric of Melibone? or Melnibone?

Elric of Melbourne. Melniboné is in Australia. It used to rule all of Australia, but its empire has unravelled in decadence, letting the younger Australian states emerge and struggle for power.