Shorter forum URLs

keira

So, we all know the slightly-obnoxious 500-character limit on signatures. While it does have its reasons for being there (don't want someone posting a grossly-long list of links and whatnot), it can be pretty annoying. So, I did some experimenting in order to determine the most optimal way to squeeze the most link out of the least characters.

Method 1: Get over yourself and deal with it.

This is by far the simplest method, and it is what is used most. Just copy-paste the url in.

Code:

Pros: Easy.

Cons: wastes characters (89 iin our example!), will break if the forum changes urls.

Method 2: Use a url-shortening service.

This option is quite simple and will probably generate the shortest urls. Simply go to a web service such as bit.ly or tinyurl and it'll vomit out a short url for you.

Code:

Pros: Short (20 in this example), allows tracking, possibly able to edit destination link.

Cons: Dies with the url-shortening website, could allow Bad Evil Corporate Demon Tracking, potential for abuse.

Method 3: Delete the useless url crap.

This option is my personal favorite. Although not as short, it cuts down a lot on the character count without having to resort to url-shortening websites. Also, it will still work if the forum changes domains again (unless the post numbers get screwed up in an upgrade, in which case, shaaaaame).

Code:

Pros: Handles domain changes, kind of short (39 chars in this example).

Cons: Kind of complicated, does not scootch down to a certain post (unless you drop "#Post252933" on the end)

Anyway, hope this helps you shorten your signatures, allowing you to pack more questionable-quality links into it. (Note: I could also see the third method being useful on those strategy central pages, or whatever they're called)

The first method works fine for anything not character-limited. The third doesn't work for me at all, but the Strategy Central threads do usually omit everything after the thread number, not that that matters much.

—Alorael, who will consider this a feature, not a bug. You really only need so many links in your signature. Even Aran manages to squeeze everything in.