Scenario Terrain Gone Bad

Karoka

I don't even know how this happened, but my outdoors and towns all went nuts. Here's an example:

Click to reveal..
Before:

moeq.png

After:

wtfrgv.png

Can someone please, please, please tell me if I can bring it back to how it was before...that?

BTW: How ya'll fancy the island to my first scenario? (I'm talkin' 'bout the first one)

Drat, I was afraid of that. Thank you for your reply, Mr. Bird. I'll try to extract all I can from this to a new one.

Originally Posted By: Dainty Us
Edit Reason: If possible, could you tell us what you did that caused this? That way we can find whatever pesky bug causes this...
I don't believe I did anything myself to cause this, I'll look into it though.

Originally Posted By: Miramor
Are you using Wine on Linux?
Probably not, I've never used Wine or Linux.

Originally Posted By: Miramor
Did you perform an improper shutdown at some point? Because some filesystems may append garbage to open files when that happens.
Does it count if the power went out while I was playing?

Usually, a power outage shouldn't destroy a file unless it is in the process of actively being read or (much more likely) written to at the time of abrupt shutdown. I say usually, but remember computers are complex physical machines and are not immune to unpredictable failures that can be caused by a power surge, stray cosmic ray, etc.

Originally Posted By: Karoka
Does it count if the power went out while I was playing?

Probably. Some journaling filesysems (most notably JFS) are really bad at dealing with power outages, and will do things like wiping all the data from files that are being read at the time. I'm not sure where NTFS lies, but it sounds like it may have similar issues.

FWIW:

I live in a pretty rural area with miles of trees along the roads. We get outages quite often. Even though most are intermittent, any outage is loss of data.

I have an external HD running and have set my internal backup at 15 minutes.

I don't feel that what I do cannot be done over, but I try to keep the volume to a minimum.

If you seriously don't want to deal with an outage, you could purchase an Uninterruptable Power Supply. It doesn't need to be expensive. Use it for your Computer only and it shouldn't take up much space either.

me