Graphic Appearance Adjustment in Avadon

Jerakeen

If anyone is messing around with custom items, and wants to know exactly how the command "it_graphic_appearadj" affects the appearance of the graphic in-game, I think I've got it worked out:

0 = no adjustment coloradjustscopy.jpg

1 = graphic is tinted red

2 = graphic is tinted green

4 = graphic is tinted blue

8 = graphic is darkened

16 = graphic is brightened

32 = graphic is faded/blurred slightly translucent

64 = graphic oscillates between bright and dark

These effects can be combined, so 72 (64 + 8) gives you a darker oscillation and 80 (64 + 16) gives you a brighter one. Similarly, 9 would both darken and redden the graphic. Combining tints with oscillation seems to result in the color oscillating rather than the brightness (or possibly both--it's hard to be sure).

In theory (if this works similarly to BoA graphics), you could combine any number of effects, but obviously in practice some of them will cancel each other out. Combining two tints on one graphic doesn't seem to do much, at least on my monitor. YMMV.

The tinting effect is fairly subtle; it will yield different results, depending on the color of the original graphic, and won't have much effect on graphics that are already saturated with color. Still, a little trial and error can yield nice results.

robes.jpg

Are you also going to make a list of graphic_coloradj effects? I recall someone making a small simple list in the geneforge forum, but I like how you made images for demonstration and you could make it well organized.

I always liked the 64 coloradj.

I'm pretty sure they're the same; that particular one seems to be used for sfx only, so it would be harder to test. But cr_graphic_appearadj apparently gives the same results, and it looks as if set_coloradj (which appears in some zone and creature scripts) does, too. I doubt Jeff would use two different sets of color adjustments in the same game.

Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
begindefinecreature 70;

cr_name = "Deep Cultist";

cr_base_level = 24;

cr_graphic_template = 180;

cr_graphic_coloradj = 4;

cr_graphic_appearadj = 8;

No idea what effect graphic_coloradj has, but since it doesn't seem to be used for items, and I have no intention of editing creatures, I guess it doesn't matter.

I also just found out that there's a hard limit of 600 item types in the game, so the most you can add is 45.

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
I tried both of those, but there was no noticeable effect. Actually, 128 seems to be "no change", the same as zero, and the pattern continues from there. If there's any difference between 132 and 4, I can't see it.
This would make sense. What's probably going on is a bitmask, using the seven least significant digits.

Did you notice any transparency effects with the '32' adjustment?

@ Mod.:

I did a little checking and although graphic_coloradj isn't used for items, it can be.

picture6copy.jpg

With a few exceptions, this looks pretty similar to the icon adjusts that were used in BoA. From the editor docs:

Quote:
+1 - Swap red and blue.//same

+2 - Swap blue and green.//same

+4 - Swap green and red.//same

+8 - Tint graphic to a neutral shade.//?? no apparent change

+16 - Darken the graphic.//looks more like a red tint

+32 - Lighten the graphic.//same

+64 - Invert all of the pixels.//same

+128 – Tint the graphic red//removes color

+256 – Tint the graphic green//maybe

+512 – Tint the graphic blue//?

I didn't check 512. Anyway, there's the inversion Dantius was looking for (#64).

So I guess graphic_coloradj is purely for color, while graphic_appearadj is for other effects as well.