Most difficult game/challenge area?

Personally (though I've only played complete versions of 2 and 5) I thought 2 was more challenging...mostly due to the stupidly op eyebeasts.

AND YOU CAN'T PARRY THEIR STUN AURA

One snuck up behind you? gg, whole party is wiped, have fun dealing with 2 ap for the next few rounds til you die mad .

You needed like a rotation (or at least I did) of people coming in and out of line of sight in order to take those buggers down. (I had to demolish my poor loyal ur-drakon for a team of cryodrayks just so I could beat them frown )

Not even dealing with the fact that they come in swarms of like 4 at a time in the challenge area.

5 I just feel that the pace has been upped a lot, a lot more stuff is coming at you faster with more spawns and such.

Albeit: I haven't really played a mental magic heavy character yet (still working on one) so I don't know how that would've affected my views on the eyebeasts and whatnot

Overall: I think that some areas in 2 were drastically (weirdly) difficult compared with neighboring regions (Remember Infested Crossroads? The place where you met probably your first Gazer and locked you in a place with a whole s***ton of alphas+betas+glaahks+2 spawners.

Afterwards, you found out you needed either like 11 living tools or to go try to kill a gazer with a bunch of alphas using your weakened party)

Though 5 was more consistently difficult.

Meh.

What do you guys think?

Arguably, G5 is the hardest, simply because it's the most evenly balanced game. In any of the others, there is at least one PC build that will demolish almost the entire game on Torment without breaking a sweat (disposable creations, Parry, Vlish, and Wingbolts, respectively). G5 still has some optimal builds, mind you, but nothing so overpowered.

I found G1 to be the hardest as a Shaper simply because you don't have any sort of HP level. A endgame shaper is lucky to have 100 HP (I believe my G2 endgame shaper had 88). If any sort of powerful creation gets past your creations, you die. Environmental effects and damage can kill you pretty quickly. At least in the later games, you could have Shapers hitting health in the 600's (!) in G5, which made things a lot less stressful.

A shaper in G1 wasn't hard, it was just annoying. If you kept your shaper back and had your creations do your work, it wasn't that much harder than the other games. All you needed was some vlish or two by mid game and to fill the rest of the spots with drayks by end game.

In G5, the quests themselves weren't outstandingly more difficult than the rest, but some quests were given earlier than the current level could complete, so it gave opportunity for more challenge. So killing an unbound before your in the Storm plains was difficult and fun to do. Some of the podling areas in the storm plains were also harder, but there was no need to go through them at any given point, so whatever the desired difficulty was could be set by the player.

The trick in G1 is realizing that there isn't much difference between creations -- creation level made way more difference, and since that was optimized NOT by levelling up but by pumping stats and re-creating, you could just dump points into magic shaping, mostly ignore int, and have plenty of points leftover for magic or, yes, for endurance.