High initiative benefits?[G5]

So I've seen it said that sneaking around into Alwan's library is difficult, and a few other tidbits here and there about the difficulty of thievery. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention, however, is using a high initiative rating to make things easier on yourself.

For Alwan's library, I had no trouble whatsoever sneaking in and grabbing the book, as well as the goods in the locker on the eastern wall. I stood on the corner just inside the library so I could see the guard coming around the far corner. As soon as I did, I ran just back around the corner, waited a few seconds, then hopped around the corner and entered combat mode before the guard gave an alarm. This allowed me to run out of his field of view no problem. Then, in order to loot everything in one go, I would exit and immediately enter combat mode. If you have a high enough initiatave (Not hard to do, by the way) the guard will have not moved at all, and you get another 8 ap to run around and loot stuff. Anyone else try this trick elsewhere? Like... What's it called, Gorash-Kel? The unbound place in the swamp. Or other tricky places. I also occasionally use it in conjunction with DoTs in combat, inflicting poison and acid, then running around a corner and repeatedly exiting and entering combat. Works well as long as you can accurately judge and make sure you stop before the poisons wear off.