Bought the Exile Trilogy, now can't run it

Prince of Kitties

Last weekend I bought the Exile Trilogy on CD. This week I have been trying to run it. Suffice to say, it is not willing.

I tried Wine on Linux in Windows 95 mode, and the games freeze at random during combat.

I tried Windows XP with Win95 compat mode enabled for the game binaries. The games worked the first time I ran them; the second time, the cursor would invariably disappear when over the game window, and I wouldn't be able to click on anything.

I tried DosEmu on Linux. The games didn't even start.

How can I get this old-but-nonetheless-awesome software working? I'd prefer a Linux solution, but a fix for the Windows XP cursor issue would be quite acceptable.

Originally Posted By: Miramor
I tried Windows XP with Win95 compat mode enabled for the game binaries. The games worked the first time I ran them; the second time, the cursor would invariably disappear when over the game window, and I wouldn't be able to click on anything.
Some of the Exile games have a "tip of the day" popup window, and for some strange reason, it sometimes pops up underneath the main window. Use Alt-Tab to bring up the popup window, close it, and disable the tip of the day in the preferences. Other than that, I've never had any trouble running the Exile trilogy in WinXP, and I've never needed the compatibility mode.

I can't help you with Linux, though; the operating system has some sort of personal vendetta against me.