Infiltrator survival guide[G5]

kaspian

In another thread, Eigenvalue asked:

Quote:
'[W]hat is the "right build" for a solo? In some sense I am asking the expert minmaxing players to add an infiltrator guide to the strategy central. I would be hugely interested as to what I could have done better.'

While waiting for the experts to respond, I'll try to summarize how I got my Infiltrator Callie to level 50. She is aligned with Astoria (after flirting with Alwan) and has finished everything in the game except: (a) clearing Lerman's Pass, (B) attempting any optional area, and © embarking on the final mission, which leads to the climactic series of battles and the endgame. I played on Normal, used only 5 or 6 canisters (mostly for skills like Mass Madness not easily obtainable in any other way), and only the cheats to change my Shaper/Rebel reputation.

Basically, I focused narrowly on Mechanics, Leadership, and magic skills. I bought a single point of Luck at the start of the game. My goal was to raise Mechanics to 10 before leaving the first game area, with Leadership trailing a point or two behind.

For magic, I focused on Spellcraft. This meant, after a while, I had to save up experience points, rather than immediately spending them each time I leveled up. I recommend this practice, because it gives you a reserve of EPs to invest as the need arises -- for instance when you get a tremendous item of equipment that requires more Strength to wield, or reach a point where you need another (costly) level of Mechanics or Healing Craft.

I tried to minimize spending on Strength, Intelligence and Endurance -- spending only when it became clear I had a serious need in one of those areas. I spent ZERO experience points on shaping skills (and never made a single creation), ZERO on Dexterity, and ZERO on Melee, Missile, Quick Action and Parry (though I did eventually pay Rawal's Guardian to teach me the latter two). I consider the Infiltrator to be a specialized character who needs every point to be focused in her areas of natural strength (or physical necessity).

The equipment I eventually chose comprises the following:

• Agent / Infiltrator cloaks
  • Quicksilver chitin / Infiltrator tunic
  • Girdle of Genius
  • Captain's shiv
  • Dhonal's band
  • Assassin's boots
  • Fine silk pantaloons
  • Lodestone gauntlets (better than the fancy crafted item) / Tinker's gloves
  • Agent's shelter
  • Demon fang talisman / Tinker's bauble

I was cautious about enhancing this stuff -- holding out for golden crystals for the key items I planned to keep permanently, though I did also add some magic resistance and poison resistance via the appropriate enhancements.

Moving through the game, I tried to follow both the paths of fighting and of stealth/diplomacy. Leave no enemy alive, and no mine disarmed, if you can deal with it.

With pumped-up mental magic, you can handle most battle situations, especially when you acquire Daze and Dominate -- and later, Strong Daze, Charm, and Mass Madness. As I learned higher-level spells, I naturally had to add Intelligence. Unlock is good, even with high Mechanics, because it allows you to save living tools for crucial moments later in the game.

Key blessing spells are Essence Shield/Armour and Rejuvenation Aura. They complement each other nicely and should be used whenever trouble is anticipated. Speed is good, but not as good as in earlier GF games -- you should focus instead on items that give you bonus action points. It's also a very short-lived blessing, as is War Blessing. Protection is good and lasts longer.

Don't bother paying to learn other auras. Rejuvenation is so crucial that the others are a waste of resources.

You need the full range of battle spells, though of course only certain ones will be effective in a given situation. During battle, start with something heavy like Lightning Aura or Essence Lances -- coupled with Wrack, if you've got time for a second attack -- then in subsequent rounds try "cheap" spells like Firebolt and Searer -- even late in the game, these are sometimes effective. When possible, I like to see an opponent suffering magic damage, poison damage, and acid damage on every turn.

Healing spells are simple, since you don't need group-effect abilities. Get the highest Heal spell you can find, and seek out Banish Affliction. Along with Rejuvenate, that's really all you need.

At level 50, my character's ability chart looks like this (including the effect of items and equipment):

• Strength 9
  • Dexterity 7
  • Intelligence 12
  • Endurance 5
  • Melee 9
  • Missile 2
  • Quick action 3
  • Parry 3
  • Battle magic 9
  • Mental magic 10
  • Blessing magic 8
  • Spellcraft 18
  • [All shaping skills = game start setting]
  • Healing Craft 7
  • Leadership 13 (can be pumped to 15)
  • Mechanics 15 (can be pumped to 20)
  • Luck 3

What to add? As a solo character, you can quickly be overtaken by unfortunate events, so save the game early and often. And name the character after some beloved female in your life. This is like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, redeemable when your girlfriend/daughter/spouse storms in to complain about your wasting time on some stupid computer game, looks over your shoulder, and sees her namesake kicking monster butt. Good times.