Trouble installing avernum demos 1-3 on Vista -- Installer stops with "Please insert disk # 2"

jag

Hello,

I'm trying to install the Avernum demos on my Windows Vista x86 machine. The installer apparently copies some files, then asks for me to insert disk #2. Since this is a downloaded exe installer, I'm at a loss for what to do.

The installer asks for a file like this: "Averdemo.2" This happens whether compatibility mode is set to XP SP 2 or unset. Searching for this file finds nothing in my entire hard drive. One workaround that has succeeded elsewhere -- installing to a user folder instead of Program Files -- has been unsuccessful. I'm going to restart the computer and try again, but in the meantime, I'm starting this forum topic.

Does anyone know what the issue is here?

How odd. I've redownloaded the game through Firefox (instead of Chrome) and the installers are now working. The only possible culprits seem to be

1. Chrome doing something funky to the installers on the way in. If someone can post an md5 sum of the installer, I can check that the one I downloaded through Chrome is the same.

2. Corrupted installer temporary data?

In any case, it's now working. Maybe this will help someone.