A2: Single-character Vahnatai Lore

Mmkay. Once again, I'm playing through the Avernum series with a single character; Cursed at Birth and Completely Inept this time. Something I'd like to know before I move on to A2: Is there any way for a single character to get enough Vahnatai Lore to succeed in all Vahnatai Lore-related encounters? Thanks in advance.

That's what I thought, too. It's hard for me to balance my munchkinry with my need to play singletons. And I imagine encumbrance is gonna be a problem, what with the lack of Natural Mage. Whee.

Another question on the subject... What's the level cap in A2, if there is one at all? I've already hit the level cap in A1, and I haven't even raided any slith forts yet...

The level cap in A2 is 40. I'm not sure I ever hit it, though. But then, I've never been a very thoroughly-playing player.

Encumbrance really shouldn't be a problem at all, especially because hardiness is so very useful to singletons. Plus, if I recall correctly, you can't cast mage spells wearing encumbering armor even if your encumbrance is de facto nullified; that means you won't wear heavy armor anyway if you want to use mage spells above Slow.

I should add that a singleton fighter priest is commonly regarded as far more effective than a singleton fighter mage.