A4 - Crafting Item list?

Dumatoin

Just started this game, was wondering if there is a list(searched forums couldn't find) of items that are needed for turn ins for crafts. The Slith in Fort Draco has mentioned Fine Leather, Steel and Focus Gems. And someone in the town has offered to make me potions with some herbs.

What other items should i be holding onto and not vendoring? ( a buyback option would have been nice if you ended up vendoring an item you later found out could be used to make something)

This walkthrough at GamesFAQ mentions the following list, I think its pretty accurate. (this document isn't flawless though)

I'm quoting:

Quote:
Construction items

Fine Leather

Fine Steel

Focusing Crystals

Gold Bars (a few)

Emeralds (a few)

Rubies (a few)

Healing Herbs

Spiritual Herbs

Energetic Herbs

Graymold

Mandrake Root

Sticks (a few)

Crystals (a few)

Gold necklace (maybe 1)

Platinum Ring (maybe 1)

Fine waveblade (maybe 1)

The real question is: is it worth it?

I feel there are very few possible crafts that come at a time and place in the game they are useful enough to go for it.

With few exceptions,you are likely to find better gear hunting nearby criminals, or as quest reward.

In any event, you probably want to safe all your mandrake roots for the potion master at very end of the game, and not spend them on crafting gear.

But its up to you of course, the game doesn't requite power-gaming to win.

Schrodinger\'s FAQ has a list of the available recipes. I've also included the main ones in the Avernum 4 Gazetteer (this includes the wand recipes, which are missing from Schro's list).

The main things to hold on to are fine steel, fine leather, focusing crystals, and all herbs. You occasionally also need gold and gems/crystals.

Edit: D'oh, beaten to the post.

There is one quest in Fort Remote for herb ingredients that you want to do since you net more potions, including a knowledge brew, than you would get crafting them.

The quests that ask for ingredients are better since you can get experience for them even if you sell the items.