G5 wishlist.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
I second randomizer's point. Most people just drool over graphics, which may be partially why spiderweb isn't excessively mainstream.
most people i know aren't craving for graphics but for good gameplay and story. The second one is perfect in the geneforge and avernum series, but gameplay is limping.

This would seem a stupid suggestion but eh.

I would like a new creation called a Charhaga.

It could be a medium size spiked lizard.

It could have an extremely powerfull magic attack.

But its melee attack is weak.

Its spines could offer as protection and could poison opponents

if they meleed it.

PS: I would also like to create worms and crawlers.

smile

PPS:Sadly, most people only play games with good graphics.

e.g. my friend had a PS2 and when he saw Guildwars he threw his game console in the trash. LITERALLY!

War Tralls throw rocks. We got Geneforges, we got Gazers with spooky death stares, we got Glaahks, we got Drakons. And the top tier battle creation chucks rocks.

They've gotta be seriously overhauled for G5. They need to be better, but even more, they need to be cooler. I see two options, both staying within the established Battle Creation style.

1) Show that the Clawbug is not just a freak intrusion from the Magic line, by replacing the Trall with some kind of super killer spider thing. Yes.

2) Keep the Trall, but let it wear armor and use weapons, both melee and thrown. This would be cool, and might make the Trall truly fearsome; but it has serious complications. It seems pretty clear from the previous 4 games that you can't make a full suit of made-to-measure steel plate armor by 'crackle-POOF!' out of thin air and personal essence. So any Tralls made by the PC would be naked at first. This means that either the engine would have to be substantially upgraded to allow creations to equip stuff; or the Trall would have to be an NPC-only creation; or there would have to be scripted opportunities to upgrade your Tralls with gear, sort of like the upgrades to Alwan and Greta in G3.

My vote would be to go with the spider-thing as the new top battle creation for PCs, but put armored axe-wielding War Tralls in the game as Shaper NPC creations.

Actually the thing I would want to replace the war trall would be something I call an assault alpha.

It is a biped, maybe seven to eight feet tall, has brownish patterned fur all over its body except its chest abdominal area, palms of hands, and soles of feet, which are covered in extremely tough hide. Its limbs look lanky, but are extremely muscled, it's hands are humanish, but with large sharp claws, like a velociraptor's, and it's feet are like a mix between human and wolf and have claws like the hands. It's head has a human cranium, with a mix between a goat and wolf muzzle, that has vicious fangs. instead of a nose and mouth. The ears are horse-like on top of the head. It can roar loudly, move very quickly, and rip apart plate armor with its claws and teeth. It has keen hearing, smell, and sight, but is intelligent and obedient, kinda like a dog. It can't speak human tongues.

What do you think? How would you like to fight those instead of War Tralls? Or make them instead of war tralls? Drakons and gazers would be toast.

Well at least you would consider using it, compared to war tralls which most people just leave out. Also the idea of the two hits in one round is quite attactive, especially with enough quick action. Also don't you think the war trall is quite generic too? Large strong humaniods that look like trolls? Even then name is similar.

Yeah, thinking again, maybe even axe-wielding armored War Tralls are kind of a wrong step for the Geneforge world. Compare them to Rotghroths and Rotdhizons, by answering quickly: if you have to face a creepy tall acid-dripping ghoul, what other thing do you most not want it to be? Really fast, right? So Rotghroths have a Yikes! factor that really lets you know you're not in Kansas anymore. They always scare the bejeebers out of me.

They were still kind of outclassed by Gazers, so maybe they're better off in the fourth tier with Wingbolts and Kyshakks. But maybe it's just wrong to try to fill their shoes with plain big goons that chuck rocks. If there's something past Rotghroth, it should be seriously disturbing. So again I vote for the spiders from hell.

I vote for an overhaul of the War Trall's stats, because based on past experience, that's the only thing that's likely to happen. We know the creation models take a long time to make, and the model itself is fine -- not awe-some or awe-full, but fine -- so let's keep using it.

In order to differentiate it from the other two shaping categories, it really needs to be melee oriented. None of this missile throwing business! Take away its ranged attack, but make its melee attack gigantesque. Don't give it quick action or extra AP or funky special abilities. Just give it an attack so strong that it does more damage than a Gazer or Drakon of comparable level. It ought to, given the disadvantages melee (and the entire battle creation set) have even against equally powered missile attacks.

How bout replacing war tralls with golems? At least, beefed up golems (not the wimpy ones with only 200 HP). You could give it ranged protection due to its !ROCK! hide, and the same goes for its attack: who wants a fist of living, moving rock to fall on their heads (or chest, or whatever) Give it huge HP,(500-800 range) and youll actually have a battle creation thats worth something! (Although thahads are really useful in the early game...)

Actually, war trall already seems to be sort of golem-like.

The issue with golems is that AIUI they're not exactly just shaped creations.

With the disturbing Rotgroth, keep in mind it seems to be one of creations of possibly rebel design. Barzites or Takers, most likely. As the banned Gazer, weird and disturbing. Shapers are much more restrained in their creations, so replaced for themselves the Gazer with simpler Wingbolt, the Drayks with dumb Kyshakks, and of course Rothgroth wasn't followed as well.

Shaper creations are designed to last and coexist with humans, which acidic ghouls certainly can't. And the new three creatures are the Shapers' response.

Maybe in a sixth tier, if it's added, some worse horror could be in place, but really the problem is that new creatures can't be stronger than Drakons.

actually, it would be great if creations would be stronger than drakons....they're already old creations...maybe some rebellious shapers and drakons would join forces to create some uber tachyon throwing lizard(humanoid, spider, alien, etc.)

Seriously now, the only thing that would make the war tralls better is increased damage...as for the esthetic's of creatures, well shapers never were very imaginative when it came for battle creations, they wanted them stupid, obedient, massive, intimidating(by size and not smell). And in all four games they were treated mostly as meat shields by the player, while magic(for me) and fire creatures did the finishing job.

EDIT: Apart from improving creations i would like different genders for each character type(isn't it strange that we meet both female and male shapers, but we never meet male infiltrators or female guardians?)

That's a good point, that the banal Tralls are perfectly in character as Shaper battle creations. The really creepy Rotghroths and Gazers are rebel and Barzite. But the Shapers also did Clawbugs, Vlish, and Glaahks. And they're getting a little edgier these days. So although I buy that the Shapers have made War Tralls, I think they could also do a nightmare spider thing. And while Tralls may be acceptable for the Shapers, for the game experience I think they're inadequately cool.

Originally by Mythrael:

Quote:
EDIT: Apart from improving creations i would like different genders for each character type(isn't it strange that we meet both female and male shapers, but we never meet male infiltrators or female guardians?)
There has been at least one female Guardian. In G2, there is Nora in the Drypeak Warrens. Of course, she is a pretty obscure character.

Dikiyoba doesn't mind the lack of them too much, but Dikiyoba likes the idea. Dikiyoba would also like PC sprites that are unique. The lifecrafter and one of the mages share graphics, for instance. It's not critical but would be a nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see at the end of the game that all sides and people like greta, alwan and ghaldring( shapers, rebels/drakons, and trakovites) meet in one level to decide and reason the war. then depending on what you say and what side your on, a huge battle of hundreds of shapers and drakons and rebels all clash and a huge battle will decide the end. Instead of the tiny battles in certain levels. Then it will truly test your strength.

The battle concept sounds interesting (I think there is a large battle in an Avernum game), but the "All sides decide to stop fighting for several months while a group of representatives from every single cult gather to have a peace talk that ends in a large battle between the shapers and rebels (no one else)" Is unlikely to happened. Also I think a large battle would be hard to survive and portray in turn based battles, not to mention it would just be too much thinking for some older computers.

Quote:
Originally written by Mythrael:
i don't believe that the game consumes so much power as to prevent computers running it smoothly, and a huge battle would be fun, though it may last for hours and your character may not have a very important part in such a battle.
This won't in G5 Jeff said we get to decided how it ends.

It may seem like that, but for every single participant in the battle the computer needs to calculate which enemy is weakest or attacked last, and what to do, and if you stick in fifty fighters for each side, that is a lot of decision making. Then it also needs to do all the graphics for the creatures moving both before and during the battle. While it wouldn't bog down newer computers, older computers may be pushed towards their limits.

The only thing I really SERIOUSLY want in this game is 1 (okay maybe 2) thing(s).

First have the same general features as the previous games (dont screw up a good system).

And make sure that us poor Windows Vista players can actually play it. Don't leave me all alone in this pit of despair! laugh

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally written by Grimm:

Well then, Vista user can play the old nethergate and exile games.

How though, it says "pre-vista" in the Windows box?

Some Vista info here:

Windows Vista 32 and 64 capability with Spiderweb Products

http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000958

As for Geneforge 5:

1. I'd like to see a character editor in it as I understand is in Avernum 5. (Which I'm going slightly bonkers waiting for a Windows version. Exact ETA anyone?)

2. I'd like to see the ability to fly or float for the player character. This shouldn't be out of the general feel of the series as both magic and genetic engineering could easily accommodate such a feature.

The advantage? Reduced levels of damage when flying over hot things. Fly over rivers, you could cross without a bridge and hover in the middle of it and pick off foes that can't fly or swim. This would limit getting "swarmed" to other flying, floating critters. Also, it would be balanced by your other creations. Land bound ones couldn't follow you directly.

Make it an equippable item like a ring or belt. Or even an item that you could put in 1 of the 4 quick equip buttons. Like a wand or baton that doubles as a weapon.

Maybe make it so you could choose your PC as one with flight ability.

Or just make it a reward for a quest or an item you could buy from an NPC.

Microphage

Quote:
Originally written by Mythrael:
it would need some tinkering but this thing would look like a perfect ultimate battle creation(or magic if some sort of magic effects would be added in the game), and it would be cool to have a creation like this in the game.

The pic is taken from deviantart.com

TEH_SIX_ARMED_PWNZ0RZZ_by_KALiZU.jpg

Nah..