I don't want to be a woman!

avok

I want to be a shock trooper, but I don't want to look like woman! It's very annonying, I even tried to replace the pictures in the data folder with those for the lifecrafter, but it didn't work wery well, they appear to be different heights. Is anybody done this? Is there any relatively easy way (some tool maybe) to change the appearance of my character more than just the color scheme?

I've never done it in G4 before, but I think I can do it. You'll have to test it, though, and be warned it could mess up your game somehow.

First, find the file gf4itemschars. It's in the Scripts folder. Make a back-up copy somewhere safe. Then search for shock trooper to bring up this bit of text:

Code:
begindefinecreature 49;	cr_name = "Shock Trooper";	cr_graphic_template = 150;	cr_max_health = 28;	cr_max_energy = 20;	cr_sound_when_slain = 106;
Change cr_graphic_template = 150; to cr_graphic_template = 140; and cr_sound_when_slain = 106; to cr_sound_when_slain = 127;. This will change your shock trooper into a lifecrafter on the main playing screen.

Next, save a back-up copy of the file G209 and save G208 as G209. This will change the shock trooper inventory picture into the lifecrafter inventory picture.

And that should be it. You'll still see the shock trooper graphic when you go to choose your character, but in-game it'll be the lifecrafter graphic.

Let Dikiyoba know if it works or not.

To tell the truth, in the Avernum games: with some of the characters it's difficult to tell whether they're male or female. I sort of have to guess: Are those chest swells due to muscles or mammary glands?

In regard to Geneforge: It makes me a feel kind of sexy to play as a woman. Especially that Infiltrator in G4.

In fact, it sounds like somebody here is a little uncomfortable with his sexuality?

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
I've never done it in G4 before, but I think I can do it. You'll have to test it, though, and be warned it could mess up your game somehow.

First, find the file gf4itemschars. It's in the Scripts folder. Make a back-up copy somewhere safe. Then search for shock trooper to bring up this bit of text:

Code:
begindefinecreature 49;	cr_name = "Shock Trooper";	cr_graphic_template = 150;	cr_max_health = 28;	cr_max_energy = 20;	cr_sound_when_slain = 106;
Change cr_graphic_template = 150; to cr_graphic_template = 140; and cr_sound_when_slain = 106; to cr_sound_when_slain = 127;. This will change your shock trooper into a lifecrafter on the main playing screen.

Next, save a back-up copy of the file G209 and save G208 as G209. This will change the shock trooper inventory picture into the lifecrafter inventory picture.

And that should be it. You'll still see the shock trooper graphic when you go to choose your character, but in-game it'll be the lifecrafter graphic.

Thank you! It worked like a charm!

As to why I don't like to look like a woman. I play the main character as myself. I give him my own name. And I am not perceiving myself as a woman. It's just a habit I suppose laugh

I also like to play the character as my self, so It's always bothered me that you each class had a set gender, that's why I've never played as an agent/infiltrator, or shock trooper. Avernum has always had a variety of male and female sprites and its always bothered me that geneforge dosen't. I hope that this issue is fixed in G5.

On another note, Why are NPC shapers always blue? and agents brown? just wondering. confused

on another another note, the sprite for shock troopers doesn't seem to mach its name. they don't look at all shocky or troopery to me. shock/storm troopers were first used in modern warfare during WWI by the germans, generally each squad would have several flametroopers (flamethrowers were deadly in the trenches) they would charge in small groups into the enmy trenches and cause as much damage as possible while completely exposed to enemy fire. the current sprite doesn't look very suited to heavy combat. it should have armor or something, it just doesn't look at all cool to me. :rolleyes:

Dikiyoba always envisioned shock troopers to be more in favor of quick battles, not pitched ones. Poor magic makes them more vulnerable--they can't cast the best buffs or rely on mental magic to scare opponents, so there's only so much damage they and their creations can take. Light armor makes more sense than heavy armor if they engage in hit-and-run tactics. Get in quickly, do heavy damage while the enemy is surprised and unprepared, then get out quickly.

I meant light armor, such as chitin armor, not guardian style plate-mail. also, I would think that simply a tunic would be just plain stupid to wear into battle. modern soldiers don't wear plate armor, but they wear kevlar vests. shapers can get away with it because they don't usually go to the front lines and they have magic. some one that focuses on conventional combat can't wear a blouse into a warzone.

I called them shock troopers because, in a world of magic, I think that would be the role of wizards on the battlefield. They go in early, unload their devastating attacks to shock/awe the enemy, and retreat while the warriors/creations go in and take advantage of the disarray.

I knew that people would find it odd that the shock troopers look so non-burly. But it made sense inside my brain. :-)

- Jeff Vogel

Quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:
They go in early, unload their devastating attacks to shock/awe the enemy, and retreat while the warriors/creations go in and take advantage of the disarray.
That seems logical to me. And even though I'm so strategist in-game myself, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how a lot of players use them.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Maybe it's a thahdskin tunic? :p

I suppose you're right, ideally she should be wearing some armor.

In other news, it appears that Dikiyoba will be able to play as a dikiyora. Woo hoo! Now if only Dikiyoba's computer wasn't about to implode.

t563jt.jpg
Oh no!

The worst of all breakings of the Shaper Laws!!!
The extreme magical augmentation to a mere creation! UNACCEPTABLE!

But then again, that's really cute smile

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

Code:

Three people I bow to:Randomizer,Delicious Vlish,& you.Thanks

-k-

Originally Posted By: Secretive and Powerful
Quote:

In other news, it appears that Dikiyoba will be able to play as a dikiyora. Woo hoo! Now if only Dikiyoba's computer wasn't about to implode.

t563jt.jpg
Oh no!

Hmmm, Travokites can kill both sides by having intelligent Fyora lifecrafters, "Aww, its so cute!" They say and then Boosh! Kill in the face.

Originally Posted By: Executor Xel'Raga
Quote:

t563jt.jpg
Oh no!

Hmmm, Travokites can kill both sides by having intelligent Fyora lifecrafters, "Aww, its so cute!" They say and then Boosh! Kill in the face.

3 letters:LOL

Guest Anonymous
Originally Posted By: Executor Xel'Raga
Quote:

t563jt.jpg
Oh no!

Toche

• 10 months later...

Where was I when this topic was going on? Anyways, if we've revived it for some reason, I think that as long as we've only got one image for each class, having them be males and females is much better than having them be androgynous, particularly if they're not wearing concealing hoods and such. The Guardian in the third game was just disgusting. However, as commented on in another topic, it is a little weird to only see female Agents. (Maybe, if there's a G6, male ones could have a townsperson graphic--they're in disguise.)

Actually, to all concerned, it has been discovered that Guardians are always male, and Agents are always female, with rare exceptions. This bit of information was gained from Guardian Whatsherface, Rawal's servant in Isenwood's Spire. She was one of the aforementioned "rare exceptions."

Thank you, Geneforge V: Overthrow.

Yeah, GK is right. There have only been two female Guardian's in the Geneforge series. They're Rawal's servant, and Zakary's personal Guardain, Nora.

Hmm, thinking back, we may finally be able to know what she meant by her staying with Zakary because he helped her greatly once. Interesting, eh?

The Last Archon

• 2 weeks later...