Geneforge and Online Play

My first post here...

So idk if this has been discussed before but I finally remembered the name of this game and found the forum...

I would first like to say i have pretty much always loved geneforge. My uncle showed me the first one way back when, and i lost track of it at the 3rd release.

this game is really nostalgic to me... great memories.

Growing up various forms of video game playing has all lead to one major add-on; online play. xbox live, playstation network, whatever the Wii has and regular online computer play has been my main entertainment in gaming lately atleast... and if geneforge got that i think it would make my decade...or something lol. I was wondering what others thought of this... how it would even work. This isn't a suggestion... just some kid thinkin outloud... looking for input =]

Jeff has no current plans to rewrite his games for online playing. Plus there is a huge cost for hardware to support players for online games. He has considered making a version for XBox, but hasn't done anything about it.

Right now Jeff is writing Geneforge 5 for release on Macs in November/December.

• 2 weeks later...

An mmorpg of geneforge would probably be te best game ever! You could start out on either the shaper or rebel side and then choose factions within those (ex. hapers would have obeyers and bharzites and rebels would have awakened and takers) and get to choose what class you want from that side. Then people could form groups and guilds and quest togther with people from their faction. It could be like world of warcraft so tat you could kill and be killed by players of other factions and there could be battlegrounds.

• 2 weeks later...

That drawing is classic, Tullegolar.

I don't know much about Erika Redmark, but Litalia didn't prove much of an opponent when I cut her down toward the end of G3, so my uneducated guess would be Erika Redmark.

Besides, from what I hear: it sounds like Redmark was a true genius but Litalia was just an opportunist who was nevertheless clever enough a politician to get good standing with the rebel Drakons, and had a strong enough mind to withstand all those cannisters she took advantage of. Based just on hearsay: it sounds to me like Redmark was truly a self-made heroine.

Nice pic Tully. But didn't Litalia wear blue?

That aside, because yes it was nit-picking, I will personally buy a copy of either A6/GF5 for the first person to make a Spiderweb Street Fighter game, with all the best characters, or a selection, at least, and some groovy landscapes.

I want to be able to beat Linda to a bloody pulp with Ellhrah (or anybody really, so long as she dies), in Shadowvale (with the revolver).

Who would be playable in such a game?

Most of the good options are mages, which could make for an interesting game, or a bad one.

Erika and Rentar-Ihrno are obvious. Garzahd. Solberg. Linda, sure. Grah-Hoth? Litalia, Akhari Blaze... are there ANY warriors in the mix? Alwan, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally written by GVDT:

Most of the good options are mages, which could make for an interesting game, or a bad one.

Erika and Rentar-Ihrno are obvious. Garzahd. Solberg. Linda, sure. Grah-Hoth? Litalia, Akhari Blaze... are there ANY warriors in the mix? Alwan, I suppose.
Grah-Hoth could be a melee warrior. Dorikas? Erm, King Micah? One of the servile leaders? I imagined the Drakons would be melee, too, with one or two ranged attacks, but your point remains. Short of things like the demon-possessed golem in Geneforge 2, I'm drawing blanks.

Edit: The spider queen from Nethergate would be awesome. Think of the combos you could get with 8 limbs!

Edit 2: In response to the below post (since I don't wanna post again), that's a cool idea. I still want to be able to pitch Sylak against Solberg though.

Quote:
Originally written by GVDT:
I would want to play Pol, obviously. Pol vs. Dorikas! Busy busy! Or maybe Hrickis.

It could combine some aspects of RPGs with the fighting genre -- you would choose a side (Avernum or Geneforge) and then create a fighter using a simplified version of the character design from the RPGs. I'm thinking along the lines of the NBA Hangtime arcade game, in case anyone else remembers that.

You would fight the NPCs, who would become unlockable as you progressed.

The other problem is that most of the characters we've mentioned rely heavily on summoning or lifecrafting, which don't really work in a fighting game.

Another option would be to *not* include any of those characters and instead include some of the loved but unimportant characters, with more balanced abilities. Cecile Vidican, Anastasia (as human), Cheeseball, Mairwen, Yong-Mi, ooh... Karzoth. Not sure how to work Geneforge in that way since most characters are either lifecrafters of some sort or boring and defenseless. Maybe Rhakkus from G1, or the Battle Alpha Hoge kept around.

Quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:
Jeff has no current plans to rewrite his games for online playing. Plus there is a huge cost for hardware to support players for online games. He has considered making a version for XBox, but hasn't done anything about it.

Right now Jeff is writing Geneforge 5 for release on Macs in November/December.
Honestly, with all the licensing fees involved a console release sounds like a terrible idea.

Quote:
Originally written by Nikki.:
Nice pic Tully. But didn't Litalia wear blue?
Technically, yes. But I look at the in-game graphics as more like place holders than anything else. I imagine the following color scheme: Shapers-blue, Rebels-red, Barzites-green, Trakovites-yellow, Awakened-sky blue. You can often see these colors worn by the human soldiers guarding the respective faction's towns, others I made up because them seemed appropriate.

As for the fighting game, I don't think they should be allowed to use magic at all. Just fists. The game would also assume the all had the same strength level. The only differences would be their special attacks, an arcane blast for characters like Erika, temporary creations for the shapers, etc.

Finally, a character I would like to fight as would have to be Limoncelli.