Geneforge 5 - May Update

Slarty:

Oh, please. I've already articulated my reasoning quite extensively, several times. And for the record: What I meant by that generous aside was that when one feels a strong sense of similarity between two forms of attack (often shorthanded as intuition), this tends to suggest that there is a significant similarity in existence which cannot be quickly and summarily denied, whether or not one is in the mood to delve into its description, particularly if he's a little tired at this moment and feels that he's explained enough already -- in no small degree unnecessarily, in fact. Obviously I did not need to even suggest this, since it was not an actual response or explanation of any live topic in itself. Imagine my surprise when I find this little embedded clause rather rudely (and poorly) exploited by that silly, shallow parody you wish to pin on me, especially for a simple phrase I've so amicably volunteered (while you ignore the rest)? Have some respect, eh? I respect you, after all.

Thuryl:

I was about to suggest that the programming already involves combining several mind attacks into one user resistance, but you are right that this seems to've been the case from the beginning and therefore was programmed with that in mind originally, whereas, yes, if Jeff changed the programming then it would be difficult for the beta testers to detect any bugs. Okay, I'll concede this point.

(EDIT because, oh yeah: Zindahjira: That is a fair point about variety. I only wish that acid and poison were differentiated a little more in the games, in order to justify a little more their requiring separate resistances.)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The differences in overall game aesthetics from lumping or splitting damage categories seem small enough to me that I doubt it's even worth thinking about the issue, let alone actually changing anything.

But I do understand the angst about resistance optimization. So I just don't try to optimize my characters' resistances. I equip stuff that boosts stats, or has good armor for its weight, or that gives the all-purpose Hostile Effect resistance. I ignore boosts to individual resistances.

I will say that one of the things I like least about the Geneforge engine games is the fact that most equipment gives teeny tiny bonuses that aren't even incredibly noticeable when stacked. 1% hostile effect resistance does not add to the game, and neither does 5% fire resistance, or a 2% armor helmet. Annoying, annoying...

Quote:
Perhaps a damage decrease?

Please no.It's bad enough as it is.I frequently forget Geneforge is not turn based and let myself take considreable damage while looking for the curing spell.

And effects of acid and poison should look different, I have hard time finding if I'm affected by poison or acid.It's a same thing to me.Perheaps there should be different spell to cure each of them but it would be to complicated, this way I know instantly when I turn "green" which spell to use without waiting for diagnose but different spells should limit confusion if(and only if)the effects look different(not just turning to green colour and taking damage).I think Jeff should do something to clear the confusion if he insists on acid and poison being 2 seperate things.

Originally Posted By: The Traveler
I think it may be interesting if poison did more damage over time up to a certain point before decreasing in damage per round, while acid did less damage over time to a certain point.

That'd be awfully difficult to implement under the current system: it doesn't track when you got a status effect, just how much of it you've got.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
The Exile engine actually did precisely that. It didn't track when you got poisoned, but every other round poison damage occured and the odd rounds it didn't, globally.

I know that, but I don't think that's what The Traveler was proposing. Even in Exile, both acid and poison "fade out" over time, gradually decreasing in damage: he's saying that poison should "fade in" instead, doing a small amount of damage when you first get it but increasing over time. The problem with that is that if a character is getting poisoned repeatedly then the game would have to track when each poisoning occurred, so that each dose of poison fades in at the correct time.

Just noticing this but...

Quote:
I would also really love it if, while we're talking about how the player manages to play a decisive role in a world full of generals and heroes, somehow the reason for the PC's rapid ascent is finally given.
-Student of Trinity

I think i saw some mention of this in G1 as something completely not having to do with the geneforge but only the personality/person of the character him/herself. Or maybe that was KOTOR, but who really knows.

Originally Posted By: Hydromedia
I think i saw some mention of this in G1 as something completely not having to do with the geneforge but only the personality/person of the character him/herself. Or maybe that was KOTOR, but who really knows.

In G1, you were the only Shaper (except for Goettsch, and he was clearly better than you) and it was stated that Shapers have the ability to learn really quickly, so it did make sense that you were getting better quickly. It makes less sense in later games where there are other Shapers around who aren't learning as quickly.

Dikiyoba.

I'm pretty sure it was KOTOR (knights of the old republic) which i was talking about before. It's alot like the Geneforge series, except it's star-wars. Choose a side, level up, typical RPG. They actually addressed the level up factor in the game and made that a dynamic part, something like how the main char devoured enemies' Force (kind of like essence or mana for those not SW geeks out there).

What, you don't like half your inventory slots filled with charms and swappable items for mechanics and a few other special situations?

That said, Eschalon II promised a key ring to get all those keys out of inventory and a few other changes to free up slots. So maybe we could get a charm bracelet for just charms.

I like that idea a lot. Or just make charms into special items, you know? They're tiny, compared to a stack of fifty sacks of grain. At least as tiny as all those keys and magic stones and whatnot that don't need slots.

I suppose one could argue that taking up inventory slots is the one price you pay for the charmy goodness. But why does a game have to charge a price for everything? Make me fight a bit harder for it if you have to, but then give me a hassle-free charm, and I'll be a happier player.

Don't blame the internet Nikki. Blame the high number of protopubescent boys present :p

The issue isn't people who dislike homosexuality, the issue is using "gay" as a derogatory term for things that are totally unrelated. Such as "man-jewelry," which is a rather more hillarious term anyway.

The word gay has indeed made fools out of all of us. Even i struggle to avoid using it in everyday convesation, even around friends that i know are homosexual. I know a (male?) watch that wants to copulate with another (male?) watch would be the only gay watch, but still i say it. Funny how that works. Reminds me of the word "like".

Well, since I guess I'm the one who sort of started it: Maybe I should explain that I was 1. joking (I thought this would be obvious exactly because of the lack of any discernible connection between jewelry and homosexuality) and 2. responding to a phrase ("man-jewelery") that sounds annoyingly like the kind of homophobic macho insinuation that I remember being rather common back in high school.

I don't know about hurting people's feelings, after a while you start to find it funny, like the `gay watch' thing which is quite a comic image. The other day at work someone made an amazingly (unwittingly) homophobic comment and I just thought how it could've been some straight out of some comedy show (like The Office or something). Funny in the sense sounding like a dinosaur.

Then again, I suppose it is more uncomfortable to hear for the more insecure teen-types who haven't really accepted it yet about themselves. They may not have realised that young people will pick on anything different, doesn't matter if you are gay, poor, black, clever, have food allergies, or all of the above.

Edit: bother, can't get this to sound right. Not condoning these sorts of jokes, just saying you end up laughing at the joker, not with them.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
The issue isn't people who dislike homosexuality, the issue is using "gay" as a derogatory term for things that are totally unrelated.

Yeah, I know. It's just a bit of a personal beef. I mean, why not use having blue eyes as a derogatory term? In fact, I might. This thread is so blue-eyed, it's sickening.

(P.S. yes, I did get the idea of eyes from Jane Elliott.)

I agree. Some of the evolved creations were rather bad. Particularily, I like the concept of charged creations, but not not which creations they were applied to.

Particularily, the Fyora, Clawbug, Vlish, Drayk, Wingbolt, Drakon, and Gazer evolutions should not be charged. Even though most of the listed weren't. The rest, I don't care about, but I think it's good if Battle creations in particular are charged. Because most people just use them as throw-aways, anyways.