A1 Ritual of Santc

To widen Dikiyoba's reply a little:

The Ritual of Sanctification doesn't exist in A1. At least you can't learn it. That's why you can only push back some of the monster infestations in A1, and the A2 party gets to actually destroy their sources.

For example, when you complete the Spiral Crypt quest in A1 and kill the master shade, it says something like "While the frostiest frost in this frosty chamber has become a little less frosty, it's still quite cold. Someone else will have to come back here and purge the source of the undead somewhen, as you don't have the power to do so."

The only way to destroy evil altars in A1 is by smashing them physically. Note that that's seldom possible and always dangerous, though.

I doubt it exists in the A1 engine. It only first appears in A2, and Jeff isn't known for forward-thinking engine design. If it does exist, though, good luck getting to it. The editor isn't all that powerful, and there are no scripts to mess with.

—Alorael, who uses Ritual of Sanctification after going through all cave, sewer, and swamp areas. Hygiene is important!

Originally Posted By: Hellin Daimiel to Helansajar
I doubt it exists in the A1 engine. It only first appears in A2, and Jeff isn't known for forward-thinking engine design. If it does exist, though, good luck getting to it. The editor isn't all that powerful, and there are no scripts to mess with.

Alorael, who uses Ritual of Sanctification after going through all cave, sewer, and swamp areas. Hygiene is important!
A1 doesn't have Ritual of Sanctification; I know this because:
1) E1 doesn't have it either, and
2) I practically tore A1 apart looking for the Ritual, and didn't find it. In some circles, I have a reputation for finding supposedly nonexistent things; if I can't find something, it usually doesn't exist.

We're talking in circles. It definitely doesn't exist in the game that you can access by playing, but the remaining question is whether Jeff coded it and then left it out. The consensus seems to be no.

—Alorael, who can live with that. A Jedi didn't erase it from the code, it never was in the code in the first place. Or, given how Jeff codes, the Exile version of the ritual may be in the Avernum code but utterly unusable because the spell list is entirely different.

Uh... lots? Demonslayer and the Orb of Thralni are the major ones that appear in all three games of the first trilogy, though not always centrally. The Alien Blade, Smite, and the Jade Halberd are also recurring unique weapons. Pachtar's Plate, the Ring of (Endless) Magery, and The Fury Crossbow round out the major artifacts of A3, but there are many other minor ones.

Are you looking for anything in particular?

—Alorael, who thinks you might do better looking for walkthroughs in the forum headers. Schrodinger's GameFAQs are well-written and full of information about items.

Pachtar's Plate is strong armor. It has nice resistances, I believe. The Black Halberd is the strongest polearm in the game and arguably the best weapon overall. You can get all this information (in more detail, too) from the link in the forum header.

—Alorael, who recommends doing a little bit of work yourself instead of posting repeated questions. Is there any particular point to them?

Please don't. As I've already said elsewhere, posting an endless stream of questions is spamming. We would be happy to answer your questions in a consolidated form or if you seemed to care about or benefit from the answers, but you seem to be asking just for the sake of posting. The general Spiderweb rule is that if you don't have anything to add to a conversation you shouldn't post in it.

—Alorael, who will be the first to admit that "something" doesn't have to be very much. Even a short but relevant quip beats constant interrogation, though.

Don't worry, it's really about people who spam on purpose. And we're quite hardened here, at the latest since the "omg wtf man" wreaked havoc in these (and other) boards.

Just one thing about the artifacts: be sure to concentrate on items which give you bonus action points. Pachtar's Plate, the Fury Crossbow, Boots of Speed and some others all give you +1 AP.

But seriously, it's much easier to look in the FAQs.

Reading the program itself I found the list of abilities:

Summon Beast

Call Spirit

Lay On Hands

Natural Curing

Go Berzerk

Inner Might

Defensive Glow

Thus there is no reference whatsoever to the Ritual of Sanctification.

This took a bit of doing because the relevant text is recorded as two-bit, not the usual one-bit. I was switching text between the MS-Dos Edit command and a hex editor. (The hex editor has a replace command that is very slow when replacing or deleting large amounts of text.)

It started at place 9,731,344 in a file that was 9,950,720 bytes long. I was looking at the Windows version of the Avernum 1 program.

Using the Resource Hacker program I was able to look at all the dialogs and strings, emphatically there is no Ritual of Sanctification available to a player. I was able to use the Save all Resources command to draw up an rc file.

There were a few references to the Ritual in this file, but they were included in a list of BoE nodes. (The file contained Nethergate spell descriptions and all sorts of stuff.)