Sage Taygen[G5]

alias

Ive been playing this game obcessively for a few days now, but ive run into a snag...

Im up to the quest where you have to kill the 4 shapers and ive killed all but sage taygen (spelling?)... i cant find him anywhere! Ive been to zephyr oasis and the tower, as well as its cells... where is he?

Originally Posted By: alias
thats odd... i cleared out both areas with dbugkill and still havnt found him

And I think we've just found your problem. The way it's supposed to go is that you fight Taygen in Zephyr Oasis, you do some damage to him but can't kill him, and he runs away to Kayar's Spire where you can kill him. Because you just went and killed him by cheating, the event where he runs away never triggered, and so he didn't show up in the spire.

If you actually killed him in Kayar's Spire, it should be OK. Sometimes there's a weird dialogue glitch on the Ghaldring path where it gives you the "I have killed the third Council member" option when you've actually killed the fourth, and once you select it the correct option becomes available.

Originally Posted By: pitchblack
Quick question, alias- Why do you use dbugkill? It sucks all the fun out of the game.

I kno it sucks the fun outa geneforge, but i have other saves that i plan never to cheat in. I just wanted to experience the story quickly before i have fun with the GAME itself do u kno what i mean?

If someone enjoys playing by cheating, what's wrong with it? The point of the game isn't winning according to some rules, the point is having fun. If that means cheating, fine. If that requires playing a magic- and creation-free sorceress, enjoy! It's just a game!

—Alorael, who examines scripts to determine optimal activities. Yes, that's cheating too. He likes it anyway.

Originally Posted By: Me
If someone enjoys playing by cheating, what's wrong with it? The point of the game isn't winning according to some rules, the point is having fun. If that means cheating, fine. If that requires playing a magic- and creation-free sorceress, enjoy! It's just a game!

iamweak may be the cheat that reduces the game's difficulty most of all the cheats (really only if you use it repeatedly), but there are other ways to cheat even more. I think script editing goes there, especially since you can easily remake iamweak, only more so. Or give yourself thirty points in whatever stat you like. And so on.

—Alorael, who will alternately argue that iamweak is the best cheat. If you're going to cheat, you might as well cheat lots.

I'm a little confused here. How did you find out about the "dbugkill" cheat? It's not in the hint book. It is super-super-duper-unsupported. I don't even use it. It's only in the game by mistake. (One moment ... There. Now it's gone forever.)

Anyway. I'm sorry that this messed up your game. I suggest going back to a saved game from before you used it.

- Jeff Vogel

"dbugkill" has been in every Geneforge game I can think of (and possibly some of the other recent releases, not sure). I think it was in one of the early Geneforge hint books, though it's possible it found its way onto these forums from somewhere else. At any rate, it's been fairly common knowledge for years.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
"dbugkill" has been in every Geneforge game I can think of (and possibly some of the other recent releases, not sure). I think it was in one of the early Geneforge hint books, though it's possible it found its way onto these forums from somewhere else. At any rate, it's been fairly common knowledge for years.

Never ever in the hint books. (Got them all right here.) I may have told some testers about it once to help them in testing, years ago, and it leaked out, but it was long ago made obsolete by the more fine-tuned debugging keys I use now.

Long story short. I don't support undocumented debug cheats. For, I think, obvious reasons. And, as they get older, they get less safe, not more.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Uberdhizon
Wait, so is the cheat unusable now or is that just for PC users? If it's just for them, then yippee! We can still use it.

Since Jeff has so far resisted all the calls to turn Geneforge into an MMORPG, it's probably safe to assume that your copy of the game hasn't actually changed.

Given the contents of the thread, it's also safe to assume that you shouldn't take advantage of this.

I evaded the patrol at the Nodye Gate, the one in Kaz, and I even explored a bit in the Gaziki-Uz lab without being aligned with Ghalding. There are definity some patrols in the game I glad I had the cheat for.

And yeah, I use exitzone sometimes too when I'm really far away from an exit and I know I won't end up anywhere strange. Jeff has been getting better at making circular dungeons, though, so I've been using it far less.

I agree with *i. If I'm at the edge of a zone with access to towns or can easily reach the edge, I recharge by cheating to save myself time. I'm slightly too afraid of exitzone to use it. The rest are too cheaty for me.

—Alorael, who would guess that dbugkill will be removed in the next Mac patch as well as in the Windows release. Enjoy breaking your game while you can.