3 shades in (under) Okanovo swamp[G5]

VCH

They absorb health from each other, as I'm sure you've noticed. They may also keep doing it for a few rounds after they've all run out. Eventually they stop absorbing and can be killed. If they last more than two or three rounds with no health, you've hit a bug, I think.

—Alorael, who wouldn't be too hasty about calling the encounter final, either. It'll let you escape through the locked doors, though.

Ohhh, so the "linked" monsters are back in GF5?

*browses through GF notes*

Ah, so this kind of fight apparently started in GF3 with the Twinspirit Golems (Testing Grounds) and the Spiritlinked Drakons (Monastery Caves). And of course, there were the Soultaken Twins in GF4. Nice to see that Jeff managed to do it with three enemies at once. He seems to be getting better and better at making boss fights.

• 2 months later...

I wish I had found the Gruesome Charm much earlier, with its extra two levels of intelligence. Since it looked like one of those Avernum hunks of meat lying on the floor, I neglected to pick it up and only found it when I came back much later. I assume that Jeff's point is that the very observant get rewarded, while us others stumble around trying to defeat the Unbound ones etc with insufficient energy.