Questions about the endings [spoilers][G5]

Ohtar

I just finished the game as an Astorian, and I have to say that's the best spiderweb game yet. I was very impressed, and pretty happy with my ending there.

A few things I wondered though. Is there a way to get the Astorian ending without letting Rawal become high Councilor? I hate to see him benefit from my hard work.

Also, the ending made me wonder if it's actually possible to find out your past. Anyone know if that's possible? I assumed not when I saw the fortune teller, but the ending made me wonder.

I'd like to see a sixth game.

Geneforge was a great series. I have notions about how a sixth game is possible, but I'll keep those to my self.

What I'd really like to see is a prequel actually. The events leading up to the creation of the first Geneforge. You could ally with the power mad shapers creating the geneforge, or you could be true to the shapers, escape the island somehow, and snitch them out, leading to the island being barred.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I'm pretty sure that Jeff leaves your past a mystery.

It's implied fairly strongly that the PC from Geneforge 5 is also the PC from Geneforge 4, at least the way I read it. Various rebel leaders almost, but don't quite, recognise you, probably because you've been so heavily warped by canisters that it's changed your appearance. (The Oracle states this explicitly.)

...However, the actual G4 PC could not have been an actual Shaper, which the G5 PC can be. The G3 PC is also a good possibility, given what Alwan and Greta say about him in G4, though the class converse is true here and this leaves open the question of how he got to Drypeak. Speaking of Drypeak, the G2 PC may be an even better possibility, given the comments about the (G5) PC being very old, and given what Litalia says about Drypeak.

Shaper Monarch seems another good possibility. If you let him loose he flees west, in the direction of Drypeak.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
...However, the actual G4 PC could not have been an actual Shaper, which the G5 PC can be.

I don't think it's ever stated that you were really a Shaper, is it? The serviles just dressed you in some random robes that they had lying around. The real problem with the G2 or G3 PCs is that they were definitely not serviles.

I have basically no experience with Geneforges before 4, but I just assumed that the G5 PC is another manufactured rebel weapon like the G4 PC, but not the G4 PC him/herself. Someone joined the rebellion, possibly after having been a shaper/agent/guardian previously, got geneforged, and it didn't go quite right. The resulting wreck was either deliberately abandoned or lost somewhere and ended up in Shaper hands in Drypeak.

—Alorael, who would expect more from Monarch, including endless hordes and megalomania. It's possible that reshaping fixes him, but what would put him in the sorry state that the G5 is in prior to the game? The Shapers could collectively beat him into it. But then where is the botched geneforging from?

It's implied that you are from GF2, but you could be the PC or another character since serviles are GF5 PCs. It's possible that you were seen in GF4 as an NPC.

It's implied in the Stoneworks that Guardian Asher that created the Bound Golem might have fled to the Fens and become Monarch since that is in the direction he was seen fleeing.

Maybe, but I've always thought of Monarch as a definite shaper. I viewed the Stoneworks more as evidence of how unstable shaping makes everyone.

—Alorael, who could of course take the rebels, the Shapers, the drakons, and the various isolated renegades as collective evidence. Power corrupts. So, apparently, do canisters, geneforges, shaping, essence, and possibly even pods. Has anyone checked them for addictive properties?

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Originally Posted By: Slarty
...However, the actual G4 PC could not have been an actual Shaper, which the G5 PC can be.

I don't think it's ever stated that you were really a Shaper, is it? The serviles just dressed you in some random robes that they had lying around. The real problem with the G2 or G3 PCs is that they were definitely not serviles.

But the skill progressions presumably don't come with the random robes. For all that DV has been talking about finding the right character to wear the clothes, Geneforge is not Final Fantasy X-2, and there are no dresspheres!

I suppose your past geneforge/whatever use could muck up your skill progression as easily as your appearance. But then, presumably, if you are being so completely reshaped, it could also make a human nearly into a servile, or vice versa.

I think the simple answer is that it was left deliberately ambiguous and that these are all possibilities.

I don't think it's against the rules, but there aren't just five endings. I'd be surprised if any one person had them all yet.

—Alorael, who would be even more surprised if anyone had them stored yet. You can't copy the text, so sending the endings requires either transcriptions or many screenshots.

Longer answer: there's currently a small discussion of who the protagonist of G5 is, and if he/she is, in fact, a reappearing old character. Monarch has been suggested, among many others.

—Alorael, who is still waiting for the conspiracy theorists to start accusing Greta or Litalia. Or, more plausibly, Alwan. How do you know the thing nailed to its crucifix support frame is Alwan at all? It's a cunning ruse to keep morale high when the hero of the Shapers has gone missing!

Nah. Everyone knows that our amnesiac self is none other than ...

(Scroll Down)

Bob the Fish Crafting Servile!

Once a proud shaper he was tried for illegal crafting of singing fish. However he faked his death and joined the rebellion under an assumed name.

Eventually he was swayed over to the dark, seductive power of the Geneforge. Once transformed he set out to realize his true ambition by making his fame in the Terrestia entertainment business by making tap dancing Betas and Singing War Thralls (good baritone, not so good soprano). Unfortunately it didn't pan out and being booed off several stages caused him great distress.

Suppressing his heartache he buried his shame and wandered the land a penniless vagrant. Ashamed at how he had fallen he buried his memories deep inside his mind and became a regular refugee pretending amnesia.

In time the acting became the reality and that is how he remained until forced once more to shape.

When the council's power is broken, Bob the Shaper will once more reign and all the world will know the glory of Dolly the Beta and her (yes her) chorus of War Thralls!!!

(Of course the madness of the Geneforge's has nothing to do with this. tongue )

Originally Posted By: Ohtar
Is there a way to get the Astorian ending without letting Rawal become high Councilor? I hate to see him benefit from my hard work.

I just got the Astoria ending and this did not happen for me. Interesting since I did all of Rawal's quests before having his tool removed. In case the person at the Eastern exit in the final battle has something to do with it (though I can't imagine she does) I sort of killed her before the battle started in outer Gaziki-Uz, so she never appeared. Though I think I can see the line of ending that this affected, and it wasn't the one in question.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
I just got the Astoria ending and this did not happen for me. Interesting since I did all of Rawal's quests before having his tool removed. In case the person at the Eastern exit in the final battle has something to do with it (though I can't imagine she does) I sort of killed her before the battle started in outer Gaziki-Uz, so she never appeared. Though I think I can see the line of ending that this affected, and it wasn't the one in question.

Bizarrely, killing or not killing Greta does seem to be what decides whether Rawal becomes High Councillor. I'm as confused as you are.

Wow, that is strange. At first I regretted killing her because of that line in the ending about there not being enough human leaders of the rebellion, but then it seemed like it didn't really matter all that much, as the peace lived on. Then there was the fact that Alwan died. I actually felt a bit sad about that even though I disagreed with him (maybe it was the picture) but it make me feel better about Greta being dead since there was a sort of symmetry to it. Now I feel even better knowing that her death somehow forced Rawal to live out the rest of his life in obscurity.

Originally Posted By: Serene Tempest
Originally Posted By: Delicious Vlish
I thought about naming my Sorceress Erika.

I'm starting a game that's going to end up allying with Alwan, so just for the hell of it' I'm playing an Agent named Miranda.

(Just before starting my GF4 Mental focus Servile playthrough, I thought I'd name him Delicious Dish, because I was so sure he would die many times, and because Delicious Vlish was the one who inspired me to do this playthrough in the first place. Then I considered naming him Teachey the Discordian, but I realized almost nobody would get the reference. So he ended up being Soulflayer.)