Soultaker's Pit - wtf?

Igor

So I've cleared out the rest of this irritating dungeon, including the aboveground stuff like the banshees and the Master of the Pit. What is the deal with the central chamber? There don't seem to be any wall switches or any way to get past the portcullis at the east end, and it seems no matter how long you stay in there nothing happens except a) more skeletons and B) charming one of your characters in a rotation. Is there a secret? Somebody I need to talk to?

The message you got when you entered the chamber gave you a hint about the Soultaker's spirit entering one character. You have to damage it by attacking the charmed party member (or, if you prefer, uncharming them and letting the skeletons attack them). Once you've dealt enough damage, the Soultaker will come out to fight you.

Okay, now it's the silly logic puzzle.

Orb setup is:

NW: sparkling blue

NE: sparkling green

SW: sparkling red

SE: no shinies

Conditions seem to be:

* at least one orb to S doesn't sparkle. (SE orb is inert)

* 2 orbs are sparkling on the diagonal (SW and NE are both sparkling)

* no sparkles are the same color (check)

* a sparkling orb to N is not red (check)

* a western orb has red sparkles (SW orb)

Ringing the gong only gives me banshees. What is Jeff going for here?

i also didnt find the "there are no blue sparkles" :S now i see why this was the only puzzle i left behind before ending A5 the 1º time -.-' (i tried all combinations on the 5 hints i had)

and yes finding out how to lure the the soultaker out was anoying...very anoying... it took me many times until i gave up and started hiting the charmed char for fun and ended the turn after that char and the message (something like this) "the soultaker screams in pain" led to realizing how to do it.

my tec was to ekip both "warriors" with a bow (low skill) and leave them arrowing the casters when charmed and use spells on the enemies, then when he comes out, switch to melee (i used to use dual weild on exile games but now i have both of them with poles)

this was a very hard "doungeon" not advised to do it earlier, but return here before leaving the vahnatai lands to melanchion land.

• 6 months later...

I've read and re-read this thread and still can't solve the puzzle. Here's what I'm doing:

NW- no orb

NE- green

SW- red

SE- no sparkles.

I hit the going and a banshee appears.

What am I missing, please?

Could it be happening because I've only read 3 of the clues?

Originally Posted By: Aaah, the strict Slarty
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Read Randomizer post. See you have to change the NE once to green and once to no sparkle. Changing NE condition is the key.

Thanks for your response. Tried that and still all I get is a banshee.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Are you sure that you're using the right sparkles on each? I seem to recall that the blue and green sparkles can look similar.

Yes- there is actually a message which says something like "the orb radiates a green light".
According to this walkthrough (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/944290/51819)
it should be:
NW- no orb
NE- green
SW- red
SE- no sparkles.
I've tried that also and it just generates a banshee.
Just to re-iterate my actions:
I walk into the room and leave the NW stand alone. I click the NE stand until I get green. Click the SW until I get red. Click the SE for the orb (no sparklies)to appear. Click NE again until I have orb with no sparklies. Hit the gong and a banshee appears.

Originally Posted By: Abhishek
Hold, try the reverse of Randomizer post. If you fail, read the link of Avernum 5 strategy central. sdf, oop fixes by microphage. Even if that fails I have an ultimate solution smile

Have tried the opposite of Randomizer's post and it doesn't work either. I'd prefer not to start tinkering around with sdf or other cheats.
Is this a bug needing fixed via patch, I wonder?

From Synergy's Item List:

FOUR BRAZIER PUZZLE - CE

Puzzle Clues:

- Two orbs are sparkling on the diagonal - NNW

- No sparkles are the same color - NE

- A sparkling orb to the north is not red - N

- At least one stand to the north has no orb - SW

- At least one orb to the south doesn’t sparkle - NW

SOLUTION: Set NE green, SW red, both south orbs present, only NE orb present: opens N & S gates:

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
From Synergy's Item List:

SOLUTION: Set NE green, SW red, both south orbs present, only NE orb present: opens N & S gates:

That reads like what i'm doing:
NW- no orb
NE- green then changed to no sparkle
SW red
SE- orb with no sparkle

If i've got that wrong please tell me where I'm wrong?

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
I'm embarrassed to ask you this, but, uh, you do know which way is north, right?

No need to be embarassed, you solved the problem for me. I was assuming that north was the area at the top of the gamescreen. A look at the minimap showed me that my assumption was wrong.
Problem solved now- thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me.

• 4 years later...