Mechanics and Leadership (Spoilers)[G5]

Randomizer

The amount of mechanics and leadership for each section of the game will vary depending upon whether you really have to get through a place now or can wait and come back later when you are supposed to according to Jeff.

The Demo (The Whitespires and Foundry) needs 5 leadership and 7 mechanics when you start the game if you are willing to ignore doors and a few trapped chests that you can return to later in the game.

Mera-Tev needs 9 leadership and 11 mechanics to reach the quest area that blocks you way to the south map section. Now there are places where 11 or more leadership and a certain item can help you avoid combat, but these are meant to be done later in the game after you have gone south. There are some doors that are up to mechanics 16 in this area. The highest difficulty mines are 14 in the Okavano Swamp.

The Storm Plains need more mechanics, but by this point you should have some items to help you. Pretty much any door that needs more than 16 mechanics should be dealt with using the unlock spell. There is one trap of mechanics 16 in the Wastes that helps to avoid a fight. Leadership 11 is a must here.

The Dera Reaches has the highest difficulty mines at 18 in the game. However in the actual fight on torment I finished the fight without them affecting the battle.

There are items to help you:

Tinker's bauble +1 mechanics

Tinker's gloves +2 mechanics

Infiltrator's shield +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Infiltrator's tunic +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Infiltrator's cloak +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Infiltrator's charm +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Dhonal's ring +1 leadership

There are some boots that give +1 or +2 to stealth.

Stealth seems to reduce monsters' detection radius, so you have to come closer to them before they have a chance to see you.

Did Jeff ever fix that bug that made Stealth work on mines as well as monsters, so you could basically stroll through some minefields if you were wearing a lot of stealth-boosting items?

I think Jeff has mines unaffected by stealth, there is only one minefield where it would have helped.

There are 3 places where Jeff really made stealth important as a way of doing the quests. Two of them having stealth items will increase your chances of not having to reload.

Originally Posted By: The Lurker
Whoa. I'll have to try that.

So, Thuryl, will we get to see the chronicles of Onan the Barbarian or something similar this time?

Well, my first playthrough's going to be as a shaping-heavy Rebel-leaning Sorceress. As for what I do after that, it'll depend on how much I enjoyed the game the first time around. A no-magic condition seems like it'll be easier now that Haste isn't quite so game-breakingly powerful, but on the other hand it sounds like a singleton will have even more trouble dealing with swarms than in G4, and I just find the game more fun to play with lots of creations anyway. I might do another magicless Shock Trooper run if I feel like it.

Originally Posted By: The Madness Place
Quotes are fixed. Anonymous posting should be disabled again.

—Alorael, who isn't sure what broke them last time. But at least things don't look like they're more broken from his efforts.

They sure don't seem to be working when I edit my previous post...

There are some items that you can get in the entrance area of the repository, but going past the golem to open that door causes him and the two patchworks to go hostile. There is no other way in or out.

There is just the 9 zones that can be fully explored. You can go back into the Testing Hall exam area using a maintainence door to do tests that you missed to kill the testers. smile

If by "kill the testers" you mean rid Terrestia of the strange servant mind there, I'm in. smile But they were super fast on my registration so I'm restarting.

Thank you for the list of stat requirements! That is really helpful to know. I'm finding I'm spending most of my points in mechanics/leadership with not much left over to boost primary stats or shaping or magic. I'm playing as a Sorceress on normal. I'm a little surprised that she seems to be holding up better than my lifecrafter or infiltrator did in demo runthroughs. She takes a good beating.

Actually, I think the most efficient way to deal with the test thahds is to send the one to kill the other, then stand back and watch. Poach the kill when one looks close to death and you get the experience. Then you can kill the other one, which should be close to death too, and get more experience. Huzzah!

—Alorael, who thinks that fight did more to convince him that enemies on your side is a good thing than all of DV's harping on charm. Yes, it's good to watch your foes beat each other into a pulp and then descend like vultures to pick up the experience and loot.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
You can go past the golem if you don't mind a really nasty fight that should quickly kill you this early in the game.

Or you can sneak around, loot the place and weaken the guardians (I *think* it also affects the ones at the entrance), then run back using some sort of meatshield strategy. cool For bonus points, kill the golem and its two pets with help from the stuff you stole. On Torment, of course. smile

8 Mechanics was enough, but 9 would have helped a lot (and killed much of the fun, I suspect - seriously, it's by far the best part of the demo).

So, where are the following items?

Tinker's bauble +1 mechanics (??)

Tinker's gloves +2 mechanics (Stoneworks)

Infiltrator's shield +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth (??)

Infiltrator's tunic +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth (??)

Infiltrator's cloak +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth (??)

Infiltrator's charm +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth (??)

Dhonal's ring +2 leadership (??)

Item locations by zone

Click to reveal..
Northeast Fens - Tinker's bauble +1 mechanics

Kratoa Stoneworks - Tinker's gloves +2 mechanics

East Shadow Road - Infiltrator's shield +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Middle Shadow Road -Infiltrator's tunic +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Mountain Crossroads and Travald's Crypt - Infiltrator's cloak +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Southwest Wastes - Infiltrator's charm +1 mechanics, +1 leadership, +1 stealth

Quest Reward for item in Remote Woods - Dhonal's ring +1 leadership

How high does leadership need to be to get Shresss to leave the Nodye pass tunnel? I had 10 and the script said she was all scared by my PC, but then I kept asking her to leave and she kept saying "soon." I killed her and her minions only to find out that I couldn't get out of the tunnel and had to go back the way I came. I'm like, dang, I have to go through all that again to get back?

If I had higher leadership, would she have (1) gone or (2) been forced to unblock the tunnel?

To get the Infiltrator's Shield

Click to reveal..
In the East Shadow Road, the rooms in the northwest corner have a lever behind a pillar that opens a room to the east. The spore box control turns off the pylons in the southwest. Past the 2 submission turrets is a box with the shield.