The Forsaken - trapped in bandit den?! [SOLVED]

Prince of Kitties

I just started The Forsaken with a spanking new level 1 party, and things had been going very well in the bandit lair, so imagine my chagrine when I went back up to the first level after defeating the leader and discovered that all the portculli had closed... How do I get out now? Are there secret passages or something?

Update: never mind, I found it. D'oh.

Wow, I seem to figure out everything about five minutes after posting a question...

Anyway, I am now in the Spine, and the portal maze is stumping me. What do I do there?

(Also - how do I destroy the evil sword, once I find it?)

BTW - I know there used to be walkthroughs for this, but Drizzt's site was utterly destroyed when AOL shut down Hometown. If anyone has kept a copy of the hints pages around, that would be nice...

As to the Portals; fagettabowdit. Seriously, don't even fool with them. Follow the runes to the large, open area where Gwennyth is fighting some Drakes. The story should unfold from there.

As to the Evil Sword; on Level 2, just after the Puzzle where you have to place Gems on Pedestals, you'll go north to a 'Tee' in the passage. Left, (west), is the continuation of the adventure, right, (east), is the Quest of the Evil Sword.

me

There are no runes - the stone I got from the guy in Keptus turned out to be a fake. Found Gwennyth already though.

Thanks anyway though.

Edit: alright I've got the right stone now, however the runes aren't appearing when I use it. And I still can't figure out how to get to the next level... According to the scenario editor there's a stairway, but it's behind an impassable cave wall. Help?

Forget it... There are specials that make it permanently (as far as I can tell) impossible to access the staircase if you step on certain cave floor tiles; I can only assume it's a bug. I just blasted a path through with the Scenario Editor.

Edit: Feh, I have had enough of this scenario. I fail to see how it is possible to battle my way through mana-draining caves, purify my party of evil magic, fight my way back through the caves again, walk into a volcano, cast RoS on the altar, and then fight a Haakai, using a mid-level party, unless I make exceedingly heavy use of the Character Editor. The story behind this scenario is excellent, but the execution simply makes things too difficult for the intended party level.

Starting with a level-1 party probably wasn't the best idea; even I had trouble with that Haakai when I did that. That's pretty much the toughest fight in the scenario, though, so if you can beat that you can beat everything else. (It's also completely optional, but you just had to go and pick up that evil sword, didn't you?)

re: The Runes. With the right stone, the runes will appear or disappear, when you 'use' it. Because there are only a minimum number of runes, you may not see them and 'use' it a second time, which turns the runes 'off'.

Q. Do you have the Author's 'Hint File'? It will tell you to follow the runes to a 'Tee' in the passages. There you will see two runes on the wall ahead of you. The exit route is between those two runes, a 'secret passage' through the rock. If you cannot enter the exit route, it's because you haven't followed the complete path of the runes exactly, you may have wandered off the path. Just go back and follow the rune path to the 'Tee' and you'll be able to leave this level.

Lastly, some of the puzzles in Drizzt's scenarios are extremely difficult. His work is innovative, and great to play, but much more difficult than someone of my ability could do without some help.

me

P.S. I have had several scenarios that I simply left when I hit a 'snag' and now, thanks to your original question about the rune stone, I've gone back to. Thanks for re-kindling my interest.