Changing the playfield size

SlothMan

I believe I inquired about this some time ago, and the response was that its possible, and it might be included in a future update. That was a few years ago now, and I'm still dying for a way to change the old 9x9 playfield size to something a bit more accommodating for bigger resolutions and monitors. Is it hard to change in the source code?

I remember the first inquiry about this. I think I might have added it to the suggestion list, but I can't really remember.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. It change gameplay in subtle ways. I don't know how hard it would be to implement.

The main thing, though, is that no-one's actually working on the source code right now (as far as I know), except for Ormus who is just doing bug fixes and stuff on the Windows version.

A change like this might well break scenarios that make assumptions about how far the player can see; I know there are a lot of BoA cutscenes that would be ruined by such a thing so I'm guessing there would be similar problems in BoE. Also, if you make the playing visible area much larger than the party's line-of-sight limit, you'll get to see a whole lot of blackness that won't really be very useful.

Just make each terrain space have an optional bit field which contains flags for whether each of the possible fields exists on that space.

Though, you might want to handle crates and barrels a little differently to prevent a single space from holding both.

(That might be on the wish list already...)

Originally Posted By: SlothMan
If Ormus could show me what to edit to make it 12x12 or something?

Playfield is painted over image stored in TERSCRN.BMP which is loaded into global variable named "terrain_screen_gworld". If you want to change size of the playfield you can start with going through the code and analyzing all functions in which terrain_screen_gworld is used.

• 2 weeks later...