A3: Should I Start Over?

After trying to play A1 and A2 and finding them very annoying, I find that I like A3. So I played up to the edge of the demo, and then registered, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't start a new game. I am on day 30 or so, and I've wandered over quite a bit of the surface map, to the point where I am encountering troglodytes and giants, but I haven't solved the slime or roach problem yet. My question is, do I have time to take care of the plagues before the Tower of Magi blows up on day 160? It would be nice to at least see it in its intact form, plus I think there are some nice rewards there.

You definately have enough time. Plus, you get to go to the tower of magi as often as you like as soon as you've completed one of the major quests, so there's no real need to finish the game before day 160.

Actually, I envy people who can play that slowly. I always rush though the game and never see the surface change. Crumbling cities rock!

Thanks everybody. Followup question: What is going on with the Slith lair next to Erika's tower? I went in there when I first started the game and got slaughtered. So, now that I've been playing for a while, I tried it again and was only slightly less slaughtered. Is this an optional area or am I supposed to wait for someone to say "you must go to the Slith lair and retrieve the Golden Chalice" or whatever?

It's an entirely optional area, but it gives you the Radiant Slith Spear, which is a very powerful weapon that can serve you well until fairly late in the game. The sooner you can manage it the better!

—Alorael, who has found buffing and luck to be about equally important in the fights for the spear.

Thanks again. I've noticed that one of the main differences between A3 and A4/5 is that you can't approach outdoor battles from a particular angle or direction in order to gain an advantage. But, you can reload so that the enemy spellcaster is closer to your melee fighters.

Here's a followup-followup: Where the heck did my lockpicks go? Twice now, I have had lockpicks disappear from my inventory. I know I didn't sell them accidentally. Are they "charged" items?

Originally Posted By: Predilections for Pestilence
Alorael, who freely confesses to saving and reloading before opening doors so he can stop worrying about having enough picks.
I'm guilty as charged on that one too. One set of lockpicks can last me almost an entire game. Then again, once I get Unlock Doors at level 3, lockpicks are more of a novelty item... grin

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
It's mostly luck in the positioning of the enemy. Still it's well worth it for the luck blade it gives. The Radiant Slith spear is off to the northwest and you have to fight/flee the shambler to get it on the way back.

The Serendipity Knife would have to be one of the best melee weapons in the game, wouldn't it? Oodles of damage, +6 to luck, and it only weighs 2 pounds!

Originally Posted By: Temporarily out of order.
It's an entirely optional area, but it gives you the Radiant Slith Spear, which is a very powerful weapon that can serve you well until fairly late in the game. The sooner you can manage it the better!

—Alorael, who has found buffing and luck to be about equally important in the fights for the spear.

I'm afraid not. The Radiant Slith Spear is reached by boat. I can't remember exactly how to get to it, but it's easy to find. You have to kill a Shambler to get it. That Slith town just has general treasure, I think. The spear is easier to get early on. Just use lots of buffs. It's worth it.

As for Alien Blade vs. Serendipity Knife, I sometimes use the Alien Blade for my fighter, unless I really want a shield. Like was said above, Serendipity Knife is great for spellcasters. Especially when they would have died, but their luck saved them. Btw, does anyone know what percent of lifesaving per point of luck you get?

Edit: Hey, Happy Birthday Excalibur!

Originally Posted By: Ghaldring
You can equip the shield with the S. knife, and I don't think the alien blade does that much more damage?

Oh, I never really use shields. Alien Blade doesn't do much more damage, but it's always poisoned.

Originally Posted By: smeghead
The Serendipity Knife is the 1 in the slith/ogre temple. and you are attacked by ghasts and a vampire if you take the knife.

I thought it was on an island in southwest Valorim, at some ruins, or is that the diamond dagger?

Originally Posted By: Fractal

Edit: Hey, Happy Birthday Excalibur!

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

I thought it was on an island in southwest Valorim, at some ruins, or is that the diamond dagger?

A3:
1st Serendipity Knife - Found in the northeast corner of Upper Avernum, by Erika's Tower.

2nd is east of Fort Emergence at some rocks.

Diamond Dagger - Erika's Tower, in the pillar room.