Questons of the Newb about Blades

Acky

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say start with a low level scenario, because then you can take one party through most of the scenarios in succession. And as far as I know, there's no level cap. There's just a point at which it gets hard to balance anything (which only Exodus even begins to have trouble with, in my opinion).

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I'd say start with a low level scenario, because then you can take one party through most of the scenarios in succession. And as far as I know, there's no level cap. There's just a point at which it gets hard to balance anything (which only Exodus even begins to have trouble with, in my opinion).

There's no level cap, or at least not one you'll ever have to worry about: it's possible to have an experience level of over one thousand without the game complaining too much. However, it doesn't seem to be possible to get above level 120 just by killing monsters, since that's the point at which level-100 monsters stop giving experience. Anything above that has to be reached by giving the party experience with scripted calls.

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
Why exactly is it difficult to balance it? I thought it was just raising the enemy level or giving them special abilities. Am I over simplifying it?

Well, for one thing, as level increases, the difference between a good and a bad character build also increases. A high-level PC that isn't built properly for high-level combat can easily end up with a 5% chance to hit against enemies that a better-optimised character would have a 95% chance to hit against. Bahssikava is a perfect example: everything up to the final boss is quite beatable for a level-50 party, but if you didn't build your party right, the final boss will be just plain impossible to hit.

Also, enemy HP scales up faster than characters' ability to do damage. If you just raise a monster's level, you'll end up with a big boring wall of hit points that the party has to spend several rounds bashing their heads against before it dies.

Eh, balancing super-high-level scenarios shouldn't actually be much harder than balancing "normal" scenarios. It'd be somewhat different, but as Ackrovan said you could just rely on giving the party more powerul items and giving the monsters special abilities. Exodus shouldn't be used as an example, since there are too few high-level scenarios right now.

Custom spells are almost a must for really high level scenarios, because the default spells lose all usefulness. This in itself is quite a chore, and only really suitable to a scenario the size of Exodus.

Most of the default creature abilities have already lost all usefulness at this high a level, so you'd have to rely entirely on scripted abilities to mix things up. With these two barriers to entry, it's not surprising that of all the designers to attempt 50+ level scenarios, only TM and Kel have pulled it off. And that's not even mentioning the issues Thuryl brought up.

Making special spells and abilities is pretty simple (although it *can* get tedious, it isn't nearly as complicated as, say, BoR) and nowhere near as buggy as it was in BoE (remember that San-Racku's special spells could turn allies against you due to an engine bug?).

Now, making *good* special spells, that's another story.

My current project (scheduled for mid or late 2009, 'cuz I'm slow) has enemies with special abilities, and will have at least two special spells for the player.

...And despite this, it's currently being balanced for parties that have just finished A Small Rebellion.

Originally Posted By: thi'serbated tiulen-formature tiemos
Alcritas

Alcritas is definitely one of the more oft-cited BoE designers. But the advantage BoE has over BoA in terms of evaluating "the best designers" is that the era of BoE is (mostly) complete, while the field of scenarios in BoA is still growing.

We won't know the "best" designers until nobody designs for Blades anymore. That said... the most prolific designers for BoA are TM, Kelandon, Lazarus, Nikki, Smoo, Thralni, and myself. The last three have less published work, but in truth Blades of Avernum has so few scenarios that releasing more than one practically qualifies you to be an old hand by default. tongue

As for the size of AC3 versus Exile 3, I think the latter is about the same size.

My count is: AC3 has 154 towns while E3 has 200 in total. I figure that at least 28 AC3 towns are blank because they all have the same values for their data sizes. While 163 towns in Exile 3 have distinct names. A lot of E3 towns are composed of modules of course.

Outdoors.

Going by data sizes, 83 AC3 zones are not blank? I figure that nine of the 90 Exile 3 zones are blank.

(I don't currently have the data sizes for Exile 3.)

I *think* (though Thuryl can correct me if I'm wrong) that AC3 having blank towns could be due to the infamous BoE 100 town bug (towns stop working at 100 and start working again at a number I can't remember).

I wonder what is the *longest* BoE scenario. Not biggest, longest. At the Gallows sure takes a long while to complete.

(Off-Topic : Speaking of ATG, I wonder if the last fight influenced TM when he made Echoes. Caffen-Bok is very Echoes-ish, and Shatter Essence is simply... I don't think even TM made a scenario with a monster that lowers your stats at random.)

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
Is the 6.84 MB version Mac or Windows? My Windows copy is only 4.50MB in total, the exs file figure is the same for mine: 3,128KB

Copied off of Firefox's explorer thingy:
Code:
File:3AdvClub.bmp 	 	878 KB  	5/16/2004  	5:33:18 PMFile:3AdvClub.exs 		3128 KB 	8/30/2004 	7:13:34 PMFile:3advclub.meg 		2630 KB 	11/14/2004 	8:01:56 AMFile:AC3 Readme First.txt 	7 KB 		7/8/2004 	9:45:04 AMFile:Side Quests.txt	 	3 KB 		5/24/2004 	6:14:00 PMFile:Trainers.txt 		2 KB 		5/15/2004 	11:52:48 AMFile:eastzinlasia.gif 		183 KB 		10/24/2003 	6:19:36 PMFile:westzinlasia.gif 		182 KB	 	10/24/2003 	6:29:32 PM

I guess the .meg really screws it up, why is that .meg so huge?

Originally Posted By: Carrier of Anamzas
I guess the .meg really screws it up, why is that .meg so huge?

In short, the format used for custom graphics in Macintosh BoX scenarios is not very efficient. (Actually, the format used by the Windows version isn't very efficient either.) AC3 has a whole lot of custom graphics.

Not exactly. BMP is one of the oldest and simplest formats around, and while my quick research suggests that it can have its data in in certain compressed formats, most bmp files around tend not to. Whether it is a container format is a fuzzy issue; I would say that it isn't any more so than PNG, JPEG, or even PICT for that matter, due to the fact that all of these may contain data of different types and possibly using different compression strategies.

The PICT format is far more complex (although also old) as it is actually intended primarily as a vector format, but has support for chunks of bitmap data as well, which is how it's being used for graphics in BoA and BoE. Since it wasn't intended for heavy usage in this capacity, PICT does this job rather badly. In many ways I think that the PDF format can be seen as something of a conceptual successor to PICT, and although being newer it has many improved features it has many similarities.

According to Jeff:

Quote:
Our games now use OpenGL...

Likely all future spiderweb games will benefit from this, but as I understand it he is unlikely to take the time to revisit the older games such as BoA, in part since it would take a good chunk of time to effect the change. (The editor alone has a lot of crufty old quickdraw code, the game itself will be saddled with a significantly greater amount.) However, it looks like he has seized this opportunity to switch to newer and better graphics formats, for instance Geneforge 5 uses Truevision TGA images with transparency (although, also, a peculiar mix of GIF, JPEG, and BMP images as well).

The cmg file can be huge file, even after compression. I'm putting sounds in it now, which makes the cmg file for TNS a grand 8,1 MB. This could get even bigger as I keep working on it (yes, I do intend to finish it). It'd be nice if Jeff would change it, but frankly, I don't know if I care *too* much about it. It works right now, and it enables me to use custom sounds. The only annoying thing is that you need extra programs to edit it, and since ResEdit doesn't work anymore on OSX, we're screwed. Now you have to buy a $19 program to edit the cmg.

I've tried; to call it not easy is a massive understatement. The worst part about having to use deprecated formats and libraries is that it's really hard to get useful documentation. The current APIs don't make this job easy since they have no reason to care, and I can't find good enough explanations so far to make a very good stab at doing it myself.

Originally Posted By: Thralni
Now you have to buy a $19 program to edit the cmg.
No, there are several free Mac resource editing programs available. And some of them seem to be even better than Resourcerer. Just do a search on SourceForge or something. I believe there are at least three of them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...