How to get BOE?

Whateley

The series of messages you get is:

Click to reveal..
If Valorim

You want to save

Back up your save files

Burma Shave

Most of the time, Burma Shave ads didn't actually use "Burma Shave" as the fourth line of the poem like that, but Jeff can be forgiven a little creative licence.

I have no trouble loading save files. However, whenever I hit the "Custom Scenario" Button, with a party loaded (because of course it won't work without a party loaded) it tells me that there are no scenario filed in "Blades of Exile Scenarios Folder". I never saw "Blades.ini", I just unzipped it from the rar. file. "Load Scenario", of course, just takes me to Valley of Dying Things. I can only wish for a file dialog.

I keep getting more and more interested in playing BoE scenarios, but it seems as if they just keep getting farther away.

Not necessarily. I have found that VoDT is located at 'Blades of Exile.exe/scenarios', whilst your scenarios are found at 'party123.sav/scenarios'. I guess it makes it really convenient if you have multiple versions all being used at the same time, or if you are testing builds and such. Also, blades.ini is generated when the program is first run.

Where the Application is. That's what happens when I post in the morning...

So, if your BoE folder was:

E:\Documents\Games\Blades of Exile

Then your application is:

E:\Documents\Games\Blades of Exile\Blades of Exile.exe

Your scenarios are:

E:\Documents\Games\Blades of Exile\scenarios\scenname.exs (or whatever)

And your parties are:

E:\Documents\Games\Blades of Exile\partae.sav (or whatever)

Maybe we could have a section in blades.ini for your scenario folder.

So, games are documents now? rolleyes

Can't you put saved games anywhere you want?

By the way, does anyone have a registered Windows copy of BoE from before it was released as open source? I'm curious as to what the stanim.bmp graphics file looks like in a registered copy (if it's different, that is).

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
So, games are documents now? rolleyes

Can't you put saved games anywhere you want?

By the way, does anyone have a registered Windows copy of BoE from before it was released as open source? I'm curious as to what the stanim.bmp graphics file looks like in a registered copy (if it's different, that is).

Actually, that's just my backup copy in case I do something stupid. The one I use is at:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\boe_full\Blades of Exile.exe

My old copy of Ormus is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Stuff That I Need but am not Using Now\games\boe_bin\Blades of Exile\Blades of Exile.exe

My custom graphics are located here (I don't know why they are there):
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Stuff That I Need but am not Using Now\games\boe_bin
-and-
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\My Stuff That I Need but am not Using Now\games\boe_bin\BoA Graphics

And you SHOULD be able to have savegames wherever, but I guess that it's a bug or something Lord Vogel put in there for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: Exile of Blades
C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\My Documents\boe_full\Blades of Exile.exe
But it's still oddly in Documents and Settings. Games would normally go either in C:/Program Files or C:/Games.

Originally Posted By: Exile of Blades
And you SHOULD be able to have savegames wherever, but I guess that it's a bug or something Lord Vogel put in there for whatever reason.
If so, it's Windows-only.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

BoE works fine in Wine, but sound may be a problem. Prior to recentish (1.1.8 or so) versions of Wine, BoE/OBoE would crash on playing certain sounds in ALSA mode, necessitating the use of OSS (and as a result monopolizing the sound card).

If OpenSuSE uses PulseAudio, you should be able to play without sound mixing problems, but expect occasional crashes. The best solution seems to be using a recent version of Wine.

(Also, Ubuntu's version of Wine seems to be patched to fix some problems, which incidentally fixes the issue with BoE and ALSA. Not sure if SuSE uses the same patches. My advice is, if in doubt, just use OSS or turn the sound off.)