nephil's gambit or boe-ormus bug? (and bonus scripting question)

msazad

Hi folks,

My PCs are not brought back to life when they should be (after the dreaming thing). Is this a known bug? I figure it should be reported if it's a BoE-Ormus (does this build have a proper name?) issue.

I fooled around with the editor to fix that but I was initially stumped... after spending more time than I should have trying to figure out how the node thing works (how to I get the town text string number from the number used in nodes?), I discovered that the reason my edits weren't doing any good is that BoE was using a mix of the original and edited versions of the scenarios!

So my bonus question for you gurus is: what's stored in those saved games? Is this stuff documented somewhere? Is there a FAQ or something?

EDIT: While I'm at it... why am I seeing guillemet quotes instead of (if memory serves) apostrophes in the dialog? I haven't played any other scenarios seriously enough to be bothered by this so, again, I'm not sure where the problem is coming from.

Nephil's Gambit had some not particularly explained potential wrong turns in the plot at Flickering Keep that looked like bugs, but weren't. For one thing, depending on what you do in the dream sequence it is possible to have your PCs *actually* die and not come back to life. You may be doing it wrong.

I'm not seeing any way to fix the thread title. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: Slarty
Nephil's Gambit had some not particularly explained potential wrong turns in the plot at Flickering Keep that looked like bugs, but weren't. For one thing, depending on what you do in the dream sequence it is possible to have your PCs *actually* die and not come back to life. You may be doing it wrong.

Maybe we've been using different versions. And perhaps you could be more specific as to what I should be doing.

I checked and there's a raise dead node that's executed no matter what I do. Are there any conditions in which such nodes are supposed to have no effect or what? If not, I'd call that an engine bug. Maybe there's something wrong with the options or something that makes it fails.

I have no noding experience whatsoever but I'm not seeing the paths that Slarty is talking about.

Also... if someone could fill me in as to how saved games work and such (see my first post), that would be swell.

EDIT: the text is implying that the PCs didn't really die as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Miramor
This was a known bug in Ormus' build. I had assumed it was fixed by now, but evidently that is not the case... Can someone notify Ormus?

Ok, I'm notified now. :-)

Originally Posted By: msazad
My PCs are not brought back to life when they should be (after the dreaming thing).

Please, send me...
1) scenario
2) your save game taken JUST BEFORE the bug occurs
3) instructions on what I have to do after loading your save game to make the bug occur

My mail: Grzegorz.Kowalski@wit.edu.pl

Hello, Ormus!

I'm putting together something to test killing and reviving the party in various situations. This will be helpful for you, and also it may be easier to coax a Mac user to test it if they have a short, simple scenario to test it with instead of having to go through the four (that I know of: Nephil's Gambit, SotS, Revenge by Creator, and also I think I heard once that one of Stareye's scenarios does it to take away the party's items but I could be wrong) scenarios that use this method. I'll get it done ASAP and send it along.

Also, I just downloaded what I thought was the latest version. I can't use custom scenarios, however, and I thought that was fixed. If it wasn't, could you try to fix that as well? Thanks!

EDIT: I can say, however, that the kill/revive bug originated before you broke the custom scenario thing. I have that version on ermarian.net, although not the source code, unfortunately. http://ados.ermarian.net/BoX/OrmusBoEWin32.zip

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
I'm putting together something to test killing and reviving the party in various situations. This will be helpful for you, and also it may be easier to coax a Mac user to test it if they have a short, simple scenario to test it with instead of having to go through the four (that I know of: Nephil's Gambit, SotS, Revenge by Creator, and also I think I heard once that one of Stareye's scenarios does it to take away the party's items but I could be wrong) scenarios that use this method. I'll get it done ASAP and send it along.

I'd be VERY grateful for that. :-)

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
Also, I just downloaded what I thought was the latest version.

The latest version is ALWAYS on my website:
http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~kowalsg0/

This is latest version available at this time:
http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~kowalsg0/boe_full.rar

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ormus, in case you're only paying attention to this thread, go here: http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=116271#Post116271 The scenario is finally done. I hoped to have it released by Halloween, but that didn't work out. Oh well.