Weird question, I know, but . . .

Has anyone else noticed that there aren't any gay characters in the Geneforge series? Granted, most games lack gay characters, but there were a fair number of them in the Avernum series. ("She's my friend. My very good friend. I don't know your reason for being in Avernum, but you're getting pretty close to mine.") It just seems a little surprising, all things considered.

P.S. Since serviles are hard to make and tend to get killed doing the jobs considered unsafe for humans, the Shapers presumably tried to make serviles breed as frequently as possible. They therefore would have tried to prevent them from being capable of homosexuality. However, they also tried to make the serviles incapable of rebellion, so I hope to see a pair of gay serviles among the rebels in G5, if only as an example of how the Shapers haven't been as in control of the DNA of their subjects as they thought. (Maybe a genetic inhibition against homosexuality was deleted when the canisters rewrote thir DNA?)

P.P.S. One thing we're definitely not seeing is a gay drakon--they probably only mate for the purpose of continuing their species, and I somehow can't imagine such self-centered, arrogant beings falling in love as we would understand it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jeff made a point of including some regular characters who were gay and lesbian in the Exile/Avernum trilogy. However, in Avernum 4, this has changed somewhat. Walner appears and references his sexuality vaguely: "loving the wrong people." Elspeth also seems to appear, but there is no Nance and Elspeth has almost no dialogue, so it isn't entirely clear if she's the same person. Either way, all mention of homosexuality has disappeared.

There are fewer heterosexual relationships, too. But the gay people may have gone the way of the Daemon spell: nothing wrong with it, but there's no need for Jeff to get that particular set of angry emails from closed-minded parents.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
As long as they don't practice their celibacy in public.

Really? I feel very different about that. If these close-minded parents were by themselves and not affecting their child, then I wouldn't care. But the fact that they are hindering their kids spectrum of reality annoys me. "Oh, homosexual people can't exist, their not in your games or books! Who put that false, untrue idea in your head?" And if they meet a homosexual person and they recognize them as homosexual, what are they going to do? Ask if they are real or not? That's going to get a warm response.

I dislike withholding knowledge of any kind.

I'm a little curious about what people here think 'celibacy' means. Most highly conservative parents would be happy to see celibacy openly represented in computer games as a acceptable lifestyle option. At least until their kids get into their thirties with the parents still waiting for grandchildren. That probably won't increase their tolerance for homosexuality any, but it will likely make them take a harsher line about celibacy.

Naw, the instinct for grandchildren is unimaginable when you're young, but it becomes amazingly strong for parents in their sixties. Hardly anyone is immune. But these days parents don't general get too antsy about their kids not settling down in their twenties, because they can plausibly focus on their educations and careers until at least 30.

Originally Posted By: Nebulan
True, However, I do agree with that point just made. I never understood why everyone is witholds knowledge for awkward conversations later about how life REALLY works.

No, I didn't have a bad experience with this, I'm just saying...

Nice face Yelbis, I can see it saying "Dearie"....lol

Originally Posted By: Yelbis Eceer Nalyd
Nalyd agrees as well, but there's really no point to getting all debative (That's definitely not a word) over sarcasm.

Internet would be so much more understandable if we could hear tone.