Conspiracy Theory

Hmm . . . has anyone else noticed that the world of Geneforge has very advanced and very primitive technology side by side, as if some really high-powered stuff survived an apocalypse of some sort? And did anyone see in G3 that not even the Shapers can remember the origins of, say, a Vlish, indicating that their records are lost? And might it not be coincidental that almost everyone who has funny-colored skin (green, blue, etc.) has magical potential? (Sadly, it's no longer everyone.) Furthermore, has it struck anyone else that it seems the people who have natural shaping and magical capabilities start out as arrogant and people-hating as characters who use canisters to improve themselves to an equivalent skill level? I myself am hoping we find out in the final game that all the people who use magic are descended from users of the original genetic modifications, and that it was warfare among those people that sunk the Geneforge world into barbarism. One can always hope. (And yes, I've had this theory since the first game, but I only just figured out the technical problems that kept me from using the forums. Oh well.)

There are theories that state exactly that- Look for The Secret in G1.

Also, Shaping has been around for one hell of a long time, by all accounts. Records will be lost, especially when few copies exist and access to them is limited, as it is with books on Shaping. Also, if the rulers are focused almost exclusively on the improvement of Shaping, as they are, with that amount of time(And with magical help), you can expect a skewed technology level.

Actually, only the canister-users have discolored skin. The discolored graphics are due to a relatively low graphics budget.

The Shapers don't start out arrogant, they are made that way. Side effect of being a member of an elite ruling cabal with the power to create life with the wave of a hand. wink As to non-Shaper mages, Nalyd hasn't seen any disproportionate amount of arrogance in them.

Hmm... an interesting post. I would argue, myself, with the idea that the Geneforge world is an especially technologically advanced one. Nearly everything in the game that is made to channel magic appears to be a life form shaped by the Shapers. Even the doors are alive. The control panels are alive. The mines are alive. Its a world based on magic, not technology, and the devices seem to be living material magically shaped expressly for the purpose of channeling magic. Although the boat that the Sholai, in G1, come in on is shown to have sails (at least in the beginning... I got bored just before the end of the game): even the Shapers' boats are alive. In G3 the boats appear to be rowboats. I suspect it might very well be the case that apart from their ignorance of magic, the Sholai are more technologically advanced than the Shapers.

Apart from all the devices and such that make the world look technologically advanced, it seems to be a rather primitive world in which people still use swords and bows to fight and control people with.

Speaking of glowing green skin: It's just occurred to me that it would be a nice touch, in the final Geneforge, if cannister-modified people develop glowing green skin that tends to intensify with the number of cannisters used. I suspect it won't be a feature, therefore we'll never see it, oh well.

Then again, it's only a tiny little figure wandering around the screen... I suppose, maybe, adding glowing green skin wouldn't be much of an addition... especially if you color your character green initially.

How many did you use Nalyd? all of them? Because I used every one I found and went into every area, and used the Geneforge, and didn't see glowing....Maybe I should go load that save file...I'll be back in five minutes.

EDIT: I didn't see any glow, but the original save file that went everywhere is gone, the farthest along one was clearing out all the areas after Geneforging, had like 3 left....

*shrug*

Originally Posted By: Nioca
No, they do not. Well, they're textually described as glowing, but they aren't graphically putting off a glow.

Either that, or your PC is expecting. tongue

I've seen the same thing (or seen that there is nothing to be seen?). The PC never glows due to canister use. Nalyd, you might be thinking of the PC glowing in Geneforge 4 in dimly lit areas.

The shaper empire is so old that it even they don't know how old they are. Their are shaper ghost so old they don't remember who or what they where in life. In geneforge 1 their was only one spirit that remembered anything about the shapers. I say the shapers are at least 4 to 5 thousands years old and their age could be anywhere in the 10 of thousands.

Whats the oldest civilization we know of today that existed. How long ago where they founded? I like to think of the shapers as incredibly ancient empire.

Originally Posted By: The Limper.
For such an ancient empire, they don't have much in the way of metropolises, ruins, or history.

I don't think the Shaper empire is too old. Two centuries, as implied by G1, seems a bit young, but it makes some sense. I mean, when you can spawn neverending armies, conquering two continents, most likely connected by land, doesn't seem so hard. And, from there, it doesn't seem unreasonable to say that the frontier, far away lands of eastern Terrestia would only be starting to have "large towns".

Everything major is still in the west, is what I s'pose I'm trying to say.