Castle Troglo past the Doomguard

Misc Staple

I've been replaying Exile III for a few days now. My party of six have reached Level 20, I've taken the hammer Smite, have gone through a dungeon full of moving walls, and retrieved the broken Crystal Shards.

There are three exits from the level with the smashed Crystal: one leading to the moving walls dungeon, which I have no interest in going through again. One leading to the giant's den, one leading back to Castle Troglo. Since I've looted the giants, I wanted to sneak back into the Castle.

There's a sizable group of giants and troglodytes on either side which I could handle. Unfortunately, there's also a doomguard. Which split to become many doomguards who surround me and beat me into a splintery paste.

Question: what's the best way to get into the Castle from the cave? I've tried haste, which helped me get into the Castle, minus five of my party. Stealth was useless. Waiting for everyone to kill each other still left me with a plethora of doomguards. The usual scenario: I get trapped by doomguards who restrict my movement on all sides.

Any suggestions?

I kill the doomguard before smashing the Crystal to get the shards. smile

At this point your best bet is to retreat to a corner with your fighters or high damaging characters forming a shield wall to protect the others. Exile doomguards aren't that tough. They don't take spell damage, but physical damage works fine and I don't remember them doing more than a point or two of damage when they hit. So just stay buffed and hack away. It's boring, but eventually they are all gone.

Going into the Troglo Castle is great if you have the energy potions to recharge and the carrying capacity for all that loot. I never was able to take it all with me.

Yep, I used to use a bless spell (only) on a PC and get them to fight it (alone) they never seemed to be able to hit a blessed PC (broken much?) I would also give him the best damageing weapon I had (anyone say black halberd?). This topic has been discussed on these forems before (perhaps it was the BoE forem). Although I havn't tried it, apperently using excessive summons or surrounding it with magic fields will prevent the splitting.

Excessive summonings will stop a doomguard from splitting, since there is a limit to the number of NPCs in a town/dungeon. Also, if you hit a doomguard enough, it will stop splitting when it reaches the maximum. Another thing I noticed is that when a doomguad takes enough damage, it won't split.

I don't know about magic fields, though.

The way I understand doomguards is that whenever they are damaged an identical copy will appear with the same HP as the DAMAGED doomguard if it is possible. There is no limit except for these.

If the damaged doomguard is dead, there is no point in splitting because the new one would be dead too.

If the town runs out of monsters (has the maximum number) the new copy won't appear.

Although I haven't tested it, the theory behind the fields is that doomguards won't split into fields and will always split into a certain radius (3 I think) so if you fill this area with fields, it won't split.

I love fighting with two weapons, because they can do more damage than one, but against a doomguard this would cause it to split twice, with one of the copies having more HP than if I attacked once with a better weapon (because the split happens between the attacks, not after both). This is the main reason I always try to have a halberdier in my parties.

• 5 months later...