Technical Question

Arrow keys move you NESW, which means not in the direction on the screen that the arrow key points. It works out slightly better that way, actually. (And as far as I'm aware, it works like that in every game). You can adjust, use the mouse, or use the keypad (bonus diagonals!) if you're not on a laptop.

—Alorael, who isn't aware of any Windows Avernum where you have to walk in non-cardinal directions with the arrow keys. That really would make the game a huge pain to play.

Originally Posted By: Kierns
Arrow keys move you NESW, which means not in the direction on the screen that the arrow key points. It works out slightly better that way, actually. (And as far as I'm aware, it works like that in every game). You can [...] use the keypad (bonus diagonals!) if you're not on a laptop.

In addition to the diagonals, you get the wait function as well, which can be very useful. Also, AFAIK, most laptop keyboards have a Fn key which, when held down, changes various keys to other functions, including giving you a slanted number pad. Alternately, you can buy an external USB number pad. They're pretty cheap. I've seen them for under $10.

I find sometimes that wireless mice don't last very long for me before they start to go unresponsive as well.

Usually I change the battery on them and they're back to normal. In one case I went four weeks before I had to put new batteries in, meanwhile my colleague at work is telling me that she has a wireless mouse and it's been over a year without changing the batteries.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I used to have many optical mice fail on me until I bought a decent higher end Logitech mouse (MX6200.
The mice I buy are optical and wired (I'm too cheap to buy batteries), and they work great for me; in fact, one outlasted the computer I originally bought it for! It too is a Logitech, and only cost about $20US.