Mindshield against soultaker?

A safe way of loosing precious things like scrolls, is to use them in a fight, - which on the other hand is the most reasonable way to use them! But one can't safe during battle! wink

So if the scroll doesn't show the desired effect, you'll have to do the fight all over again, just because of not wanting to waste the scroll…?!?.

I'm sure many will agree, that you won't do that, if the fight works well in all the other respects, and/or if the fight seems rather boring and you're just happy to get it over with. (Sorry, Jeff, there are a few which I find a bit boring. At least the way they turn out for me…)

What interests me most about scrolls at the moment is, if it makes sense to use Mindshield in the fight against the soultaker?

I mean, I save before the beginning of the fight, so it doesn't hurt so much to use the scrolls and do the fight over again.

Click to reveal..
I tried the fight with and without Mindshield and I'm never able to figure out, if it makes a difference to use the Mindshield Scrolls or not. The fight doesn't seem to turn out worse without Mindshield. The only thing that seems to work quite well is my priest's Unshakle Mind. But I'm always wondering if it's a good idea to use up all my priests energy with casting unshackle mind.
It drains too much magical energy.

Maybe my strategy for the whole fight is wrong…

Maybe, if I played it differently, it would be more interesting…

At the moment I find it rather boring.

Bad idea.

The Soultaker fight is one of the more ingenious fights in A5. You HAVE to BEAT some sense into your possessed PC. I do mean BEAT. Hit them. Melee, arrows, magic. Just hit them, until the Soultaker possesses another one, then repeat the process. After a while of this, the Soultaker will stop messing with you and some shades appear. Kill them, and the Soultaker will finally appear. Have fun! laugh

I doubt most players are able to figure out what's going on in this fight by themselves. It may be a little too clever for our own good. Maybe Jeff should have thrown a dialog box at some point saying, "You notice the look of the Soultaker in your possessed party member's face. You feel a strong urge to attack it there."

-S-

Yes, but a little more subtlety than that would be nice, I think. After all: Why include battles that require clever strategy if you're only going to tell the player the answer?

That said: I myself only got through the fight after I read what the key was. Maybe if there was that flitting glint like I think there was in another fight (Moref I think? ...I'd actually missed the flitting glints there so I didn't get the strategy, therefore the fight ended up being a very, very long one)... except that the light should be a little more noticeable? Maybe then -- the flitting light being interpreted as the probable signifier of possession rather than charm -- a clever player could quickly figure out, after finding that repeated unshackles didn't gain him/her any headway, that beating the character, ogre-style, would be the better strategy?

...Which makes me wonder... how do singletons get through that battle? Does the soultaker even bother possessing singletons if it has nobody to fight by possessing you?

Yeah, and the Moref battle (if that's what it was)... I suppose the flitting light should've been more noticeable, there.

Moref is easier for singletons because you stand in a corner and the servants cluster so you can see them all at once to spot that quick flicker that denotes Moref moving. With larger groups the servants spread out and it's harder to see most of them on the same screen.

Soultaker is a cakewalk for a singleton. No possession and the vengeful shades are the hardest part for a few rounds. Soultaker wasn't even a challenge.

Evnyssen,

How about suggesting a level-oriented hint-strategy to Jeff for the design of his next Avernums? For level easy he gives the hint, which Synergy suggested above. For normal he omits some of the very obvious ones and so on…

You have to take into account, that there are players much less experienced than you are. For me the difference between an "Ogre-style" fight and a more subtle one is often only slight.

I can see, how fights get much easier and end earlier, as soon as I have figured out the right strategy. I had that in "Endurance" for example, but still my PCs had to endure a lot of beating, before they succeeded. The effects of fitting strategies took a while to show. And I'm already playing on easy…

There are many fights which are not so obviously different from 'ogre beatings'… Lysstak for example… You have to figure out which beating you'll give him in which order, but furthermore it's just a beating…

Same with the shades of the damaged pylon. Beside finding out, that you better hit the vanathai-sentinel's shades instead of himself, and which is vulnerable to which attack, you'll just have to beat them up.

Also there are so many moments, where I'd like to choose a totally different strategy than to beat/kill at all. But ever so often, there are no options for even subtler strategies aside from how to beat whom at all…

There were quite a lot of creatures, I would have preferred not to kill, because it made no sense to me.

I did have to return quite often, to do so, to be able to continue the game.

Tchee…

Hmm... It might be really interesting if there were a 'hints' option that affected the dialogue and dialogue boxes... you could set it to high, medium, or low... but I'd hate for that to be tied to the gameplay difficulty. Yes, I think I like that idea.

On a similar note (well, I was reminded), I think I posted a suggestion a while ago that there should be an option to turn off the tutorial, so that when players who are familiar with the game system start a new game, they don't have to endure all those dialogue boxes popping up to explain to you how to do things you already know how to do. That should be pretty simple to program in.

• 5 years later...

I have a melee fighter, level 23, with 14 skill points in melee. There's an archer at level 21, archer skills 12. A priest is level 22, with 9 points in bows and 21 in priest. And a mage at level 23, with 5 points in bows, 6 points in thrown missiles, and 16 in mage spells. I'm playing easy difficulty level.

Yeah, those are some pretty low offensive skills for that level, especially if you haven't also invested in Blademaster and Sharpshooter. Did you invest a lot in Dexterity and Defense? That plus the low offense would explain why you're missing a lot.

Try dialling the difficulty level up for that fight, maybe? Higher difficulties seem to increase the damage you take from all sources.

If all else fails, it's a completely optional fight so you can just leave it for now and get on with the game.