Savefile displaying the OBoE random items bug

Here are the encrypted and decrypted versions of my savefile:

http://users.norwoodlight.com/danlev/Att.sav

http://users.norwoodlight.com/danlev/Att-decrypted.sav

Savefile contains a party of one demigod-PC in the Wizards' Bazaar - the version of Falling Stars is the most recent, available from Alcritas' website. Boating around the Bazaar will reveal potions, lanterns, books, and other stuff in the walls; and attempting to drop an item may result in a message to the effect that there's too much stuff on the floor.

Hopefully this will help resolve the bug...

As I understand, the Wizards' Bazaar contains one of the three Saved Item Rectangles, if this is town 18 we are discussing. Two other towns contain rectangles: Western Xancrest and the Haverly Estate. If the problem occurs only in towns with such rectangles, you have the source of your problem.

If the items seem to have their normal properties, then it is a problem with the rectangles or the 64 preset town items.

I am currently using the source code to try and decrypt the save files, this is my break-down of the save file:

Data type~Length~Starts at:

party_record_type~45,914~0

unsigned char setup[4][64][64];~16,384~45,914

pc_record_type[6]~11,388~62,298

out_info_type;~9,216~73,686

current_town_type~16,014~82,902

big_tr_type~6,056~98,916

stored item lists, current town~7,590~104,972

stored item lists, 3 saved item rectangles~22,770~112,562

stored_town_maps_type town_maps[100][8][64];~51,200~135,332

stored_town_maps_type town_maps[100][8][64];~51,200~186,532

stored_outdoor_maps_type outdoor_maps[100][6][48];~28,800~237,732

sfx~4,096~266,532

misc_i~4,096~270,628

If saving maps, grand sum is 274,724 bytes.

(Tildes represent tab stops.)

Num_town_items = 115, 4*115 = 460, 460*66 = 30,360.

Okay, the stored item lists show that there is a torch at 38,17 which is nice, what it does not show is WHY there is a torch in the middle of the water. When looking at the stored item lists, the location of the item is listed immediately to the left of the item's identified name. The list of preset items in the scenario file does not contain a torch. Ditto the list in the current town type part of the save game file shows no surprises.

Perhaps Miramor can try tracking the problem back in time? Look through save game files&

Stop press: I just ran the four stored items lists through a proprietary spreadsheet. What I found is that all four records were identical, they all seemed to contain the same 115 items.

Miramor, I've checked your savefile on my latest (2008-06-02) recompilation of BoE and have seen the problem. It looks like you have used old recompilation with saved items bug still present because Town Items structure is copied three times over an array of Saved Item Rectangle structures (Ishad Nha also reports that in his post). That was exactly the problem with Saved Item Rectangle Bug and I've fixed it two weeks ago. BUT, I have no idea why Town Items structure was corrupted in your savefile. That could be bug unknown to me.

My question is: have you created this savefile or started playing this scenario in one of my recent (not older than 27th May) recompilations? If your answer is no then you have to download up-to-date executable file of BoE.

After brute-force removing corrupted items from your savegame I wasn't able to replicate your problem with my latest executables and tested if saved item rectangle bug is present - it is not.

EDIT:

I've just uploaded modified executable with two new useful debugging functions. After you enter DEBUG MODE (Shift-D) press Shift-I to remove all items in all saved items rectangles or press Shift-U to remove all town items (after entering town again all items will be reloaded from scenario data).

Miramor, download updated executable, load your savegame, reenter Wizards' Bazaar, get into Debug Mode (Shift-D), remove all items in rectangles (Shift-I) and turn off Debug Mode (Shift-D again). All your items in Saved Item Rectangles will be lost but all other things should be fine.