My BoE scenario editor isn't working

First off, I've trashed and downloaded BoE several times to see if it would work, but it did nothing.

What's wrong is, when I open BoE's scenario editor, I can get past naming the scenario and choosing a password, but then right when I click Okay on the box that pops up and says be patient, an Error number 80 occurs (if that helps any), and the program terminates. It says there that giving BoE more memory might help, but I thought that there was no way of doing that on Mac OS X.

Any help?

The newest Ormus (Open Source) Windows Scenario Editor has no passwords. I don't know what an "error 80" is, I would need to read the source code.

Windows 95 Compatibility would only be an issue if you are using the official Spiderweb editor.

My latest version of the Editor won't create new scenarios but it won't crash either. It can't find bladbase.exs, which is of course in the right folder.

Very strange. I've just tested Scenario Editor myself and it is working without problems. I got "error 80" message when I placed BLADBASE.EXS in wrong folder, so this may be the problem in Mr. Slithzerikai's case. So I made possible to set manually path to BLADBASE.EXS in "blades.ini". Updated ScenEd executable can be downladed from my webpage. I haven't noticed any other problems with the editor.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
Windows 95 Compatibility...
Originally Posted By: Ormus
Mr. Slithzerikai, you have problem with Mac or Win version of Scenario Editor?
I don't mean to be rude, but you should read his post more carefully. It clearly implies he is using a Mac:
Originally Posted By: Mr. Slithzerikai
It says there that giving BoE more memory might help, but I thought that there was no way of doing that on Mac OS X.
(emphasis added)

I have one question, Mr. Slithzerikai: Is there a file called "Blades of Exile Base" in the folder with the scenario editor?

If Ormus wants to be ambitious he can try adding a few new features to the editor:

• change the size of an existing town

• delete towns other than the last

• partial importing of some features of a town, monsters or terrain only

• import an outdoor section

The first two are both available in the Blades of Avernum Mac Editor.

Ishad Nha and Ormus: All but the third exist in the Mac BoA editor, and at a glance the save_scenario() function in the BoE Editor's tfileio.c looks virtually identical to the original output functions from the BoA editor (most of the comments are identical even). Therefore, I would recommend that you have a look at the saving functions in Bl A Fileio.cpp in the latest version of the 3D Editor code for inspiration/code to copy.

Getting that code was fun; it was quite an exercise to boot up a computer, log in, and copy off files to a flash drive without any visual help, as from a monitor.

Blades of Exile has dynamic storage for town and outdoor text, this is the only major difference in the process.

The only three relevant parts of the scenario_data_type are:

unsigned char town_size[200];

short town_data_size[200][5];

short out_data_size[100][2];

If importing, the data sizes would be recorded in the origin scenario. If deleting, simply add the relevant number of zeroes (ten or four) to the end of the relevant sequence.

If changing the size of a town, you would need to alter the relevant town size entry, and at least the first of the five town data size entries.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Windows 95 Compatibility...
Originally Posted By: Ormus
Mr. Slithzerikai, you have problem with Mac or Win version of Scenario Editor?
I don't mean to be rude, but you should read his post more carefully. It clearly implies he is using a Mac

I was confused by Ishad Nha'a post.

If Ormus wants to be ambitious he can try adding a few new features to the editor:

I don't want to be ambitious. I don't have time for this. :-/ I'd like someone else to take over BoE for Win, but it seems that nobody is really interested or has right skills.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
All but the third exist in the Mac BoA editor, and at a glance the save_scenario() function in the BoE Editor's tfileio.c looks virtually identical to the original output functions from the BoA editor (most of the comments are identical even). Therefore, I would recommend that you have a look at the saving functions in Bl A Fileio.cpp in the

Thanks for info! I'll take a look.

I did use the phrase "Windows 95 Compatibility" to describe the situation on a Mac, I have no idea what the Mac equivalent of this is.

Edit: it would also be possible to alter the size of the outdoors.

This is the full list of items affected by town and outdoor section numbers:

unsigned char num_towns; 1 11

unsigned char out_width, 1 12

unsigned char out_height, 1 13

unsigned char town_size[200]; 200 17

unsigned char town_hidden[200], 200 217

location where_start, 2 424

location out_sec_start, 2 426

location out_start; 2 428

short which_town_start; 2 430

short town_data_size[200][5]; 2000 434

short town_to_add_to[10]; 20 2434

short flag_to_add_to_town[10][2]; 40 2454

short out_data_size[100][2]; 400 2496

RECT store_item_rects[3]; 24 2896

short store_item_towns[3]; 6 2920

boat_record_type scen_boats[30]; 300 30782

horse_record_type scen_horses[30]; 300 31082

location last_out_edited; 2 41938

short last_town_edited; 2 41940

} scenario_data_type;

The third column is the length of the entry from each line and the fourth column is where it starts, with the first byte being at address 0.

I did use the phrase "Windows 95 Compatibility" to describe the situation on a Mac, I have no idea what the Mac equivalent of this is.
I'm not sure there is an equivalent. Anything written for Mac OS 9 cannot run on an Intel Mac. Applications written for Mac OS X but compiled for the PowerPC processor can run on an Intel Mac under Rosetta – this is done automatically when necessary (though you can force it for Universal applications, which have both Intel and PowerPC code).

I still think that the problem may be a missing "Blades of Exile Base" (bladbase.exs for Windows users).

Edit: it would also be possible to alter the size of the outdoors.
I fail to see the relelvance of this...