I don't want a fight.... wait, did you say "hoard?"

Helice

I've just met Greldyan in the Lake of Trials area. I don't want to kill her, but she's got a hoard ripe for the looting! What self-respecting adventurer can pass that up?

I tried to walk past her, but no dice. Is there any way around her (ie: more secret passages through slimy caves) or is a fight my only option? And if I have to kill her, are the rewards worth the trouble?

Look at it this way: Greldyan's hostility emphasizes the brutality of the struggle for limited resources in the caves. She's hyperaggressive because she was driven from her home in the Drake Pillars. Once you encounter her, she doesn't give you much of a choice.

She's also hyperaggressive because she's a drake, but she could parley if it suited her. Parleying seems to be a drake tradition.

The encounter with Greldyan could be a foreshadowing of Avernum VI, which I think I read will be the final chapter. All against all! Caves on fire! Who will survive???

Quote:
The encounter with Greldyan could be a foreshadowing of Avernum VI, which I think I read will be the final chapter. All against all! Caves on fire! Who will survive???
The Vahnatai will survive. They're going back to hibernation while everyone kills each other. That'd be kind of a depressing end to the series though.

There are no other passages around her. With haste, slow and daze, you can rob her of her hoard and dignity and still leave her alive. Dunno why I did that. She probably won't parley with anyone wearing a crown on their chest again.

Quote:
Originally written by Lemur Industries:

The Vahnatai will survive. They're going back to hibernation while everyone kills each other. That'd be kind of a depressing end to the series though.[/QB]

There seem to be more and more hints of continuity between the Avernum and Geneforge series, but that may just be a case of Jeff influencing himself. Though Soul Crystals and Simulacrums have been left out of the last Avernum s, I still suspect that humans will supplant vahnatai, and the Empire will either be supplanted by, or internally reform into, the civilization of the Shapers.