How to use special items?

Luke24

So I'm pretty far into the game (I'm planning on killing Gladwell to remove the geas before moving into Dark River territory, but other than that, I've pretty much taken care of everything else) and I've accumulated quite a bit of "materials," normal ones like leather, steel, emeralds, focusing crystals, as well as the more uncommon ones like mandrake tinctures, demon's bile, and some eyestalks.

The question is, what's the best use for these materials? Is there any reason to hold onto them any longer, or should I just trade them in at Highground and Muck for weapons and armor?

I guess even if I didn't really like the equipment I got, I could turn around and sell it, which would be better than just carrying around items I'm not using…unless I should hold onto them longer for some reason?

Thanks in advance.

Muck and later in Melanchion's Keep in the Dark River have crafters that can make some great items with some of these things. Talisman of Might (+4 Strength), Warmaster's Helm, and Heartstriker Bow are some of the best ones. You don't need them to finish but they help.

The Heartstriker Bow was a bit of a disappointment in this game -- unless you really invest heavily in bows, it's not going to do very much more damage than a blessed longbow (of which you can find enough for your entire party by the time you first get access to the Heartstriker). I'd say to make as many helms and talismans as you can -- the helm's fatigue removal ability is great for everyone who uses battle disciplines (which should be everyone), and the talisman's Strength boost means you can wear much more equipment without being encumbered.

Making a Mercuric Plate for your fighter isn't a bad idea either, unless you already got one from Gladwell. It's a lot harder to get 3 attacks per round than it was in A4, but if you stack Quick Strike and multiple action-point-boosting items on a single character, it can be done.

You get AP bonus

from mercurial leather or plate

from Quicksilver Sandals

from Quicksilver Bulwark

from Haste

from Battle Frenzy

That's +10, which is enough I think...

It's really absurdly hard to get this configuration and it is outright impossible until very late in the game, when the bulwark is obtained.