New A4 Editor

WARNING: Installing this editor involves modifying your game files. Even if you only install it and never actively use it, your game may change in ways you don't expect or want. This editor is not made or supported by Spiderweb Software. Install at your own risk.

EDIT: Links for A4editor.zip installer, Restore.zip uninstaller, and instructional README.zip text files are now available for your convenience. See Links below.

Cobbled together another A4 Editor that some may find interesting. It's script based (not true "stand alone") but it has some pretty cool features. It includes a CLEAN TESTER save game that allows you to try it out and see if, how you may want to use it. (save game writes to # 10 (bottom left) slot.) The editor is self documenting and the text files included have descriptions, a complete list of what each choice does and complete list of items.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the selections. I wrote this mainly to give me choices I couldn't find elsewhere. And because I wanted to be able to play game faster in new games when I wanted to go back and finish quests or redo something different in a new game. I can't stand to go through all the process of a quest just to have the character killed before I can complete it, and be too far into the game since last save game!

The abilities, items in this editor lean heavily toward Soldier, Sorcerer/Mage, Priest, and Archer skills. But has several choices helpful for other characters. Also, can increase carry weight significantly.

It's very easy to download and install. If extracted from the Avernum 4 install folder it automatically installs the test game and Editor Script and backs up the original script for you...

"Alorael" said it worked on Mac. I used my PCs XP and Win98SE no probs.

I've tested it extensively from new games to using it with games already in progress, all the way to completion with no bugs. You can leave it installed and use any, all, or none of it's features. The entry point is Bodrie in the Dining Hall at Fort Monastery. The dialog is modified to flow into the game and even explains Bodries amazing resources.

A4 Editor Menu Choices:

1. Could I get some food?

Same as original. 2 choices: Mushrooms, and Bread at 2 coins each.

2. Give my party the statistics and experience of great Adventurers of renown.

(inspired by Hawk King)*

3. Give us a selection of powerful weapons, armor, potions, and scrolls. We have

made room for it all.

4. Fill my purse with coins.

5. Give me a Quest Kit of items likely to be needed to speedily fill requests.

My pack is empty so I can see and store these items separate from all else...

(inspired by Schrodingers "items to hang on to", and "construction items")*

6. Give me the maximum amount of Wisdom Crystals, Knowledge Brews and Elixirs,

and 20 Energy Elixirs. I'll spread them among the party and/or store them before

getting more.

7. Give me herbs, graymold, mandrake, Crystals, Metals, Leather, Jewels, just

use your best judgement.

Please read the text files _README1.txt, _EditMenu.txt, and _StatsItems.txt before extracting from A4 install folder. They will be extracted to Avernum 4 folder and will group together with "underscore" as first character of file name for easy access reference.

Here's the link to web site. Link to download the editor is on home page.

A4 Editor

Or, to download the editor directly from the boards here:

A4editor.zip

You can also remove the editor and restore to original files here:

Uninstall A4 Editor

Restore.zip

Note: All stats and items in packs and stored in save games will stay same. You won't lose them.

And,

You can get just the instructional text files here:

README text files only

README.zip

* "Inspired by" credits do not imply endorsement by Hawk King or Schrodinger. Just my thanks and appreciation!

Edited by Lilith
added warning

Current (July 3) A4 Editor Choices, Items, Skills And Statistics

Note: The numbers for choices used here will change when one or more choices

are used. The lists below will use the numbers and descriptions from a fresh

list of choices. Exiting and resuming talk mode will make the numbers and

descriptions coincide again. Refer to the descriptions when the numbers change.

1. Could I get some food?

Same as original. 2 choices: Mushrooms and Bread at 2 coins each.

2. Give my party the statistics and experience of great Adventurers of renown.

Using once gives all human members Level 12 (less with Slithzerikai, 10) and all

skills and strength go up by 6 till maxed at 30 after 5 uses (levels 36/32). You

Can do this 19 times till max Levels 55/52 are reached (not recommended as you'd be

invulnerable). The only way to increase certain skills and strength above 30 is

with items. (See #3) Each use increases Experience points, Skill points, Spell

Energy, and Health. Stay at about 3 to 5 uses so you can gain higher levels as you

play and still be injured, fatigued. Experiment to find the increase that fits your needs.

(Inspired by Hawk Kings A4 edit.)

3. Give us a selection of powerful weapons, armor, potions, and scrolls. We have

made room for it all.

Use once and experiment till you're happy with how you are outfitted, then store

or sell the excess to make room for other items. If you want more of anything you

can select this again. Extra items will be dropped on ground. Don't let this build

up too much without storing or selling excess. Selling will actually make excess

go away completely. (Your coins will never exceed 30000.)

Items included are:

2 Drakeskin Bracers, 2 Blessed Bracers, 4 Eyebeast Chitin, 4 Gazerskin Sandals,

4 Girdle of Might, 4 Blessed Armor Band, 4 Gloves of the Hammer, 4 Robe of the

Magi, 2 Demonslayer, 4 Infernal Helm, 4 Avenger's Ring, 4 Crystalline Aegis, 4

Infernal Shroud, 4 Lightning Girdle, 4 Radiant Vambraces, 2 Gold Necklace, 2

Runed Jade Necklace, 2 Hero's Necklace, 4 Talisman of Might, 2 Blessed Spear, 4

Cryos Spear, 2 Jade Halberd, 2 Slith Bloodspear, 4 Incantor's Ring, 2 Icedrake

Vambraces, 2 Acid-Etched Legs, 2 Cap of Thoughts, 2 Crystalline Plate, 2 Cap of

Farsight, 2 Basher's Helm, 2 Ruby Chain, 1 Mica-Flecked Chain, 1 Opal Chain, 2

Explorer's Ring, 2 Ebony Bow, 2 Eliavri's Bow, 4 Magus Vest, 2 Flaming Sword,

4 Radiant Shortblade, 2 Venomous Blade, 4 Heartstriker Bow, 5 Healing Elixir,

5 Curing Potion, 5 Energy Potion, 5 Speed Elixir, 5 Armor Elixir, 5 Restoration

Elixir, 5 Invulnerable Elixir, 5 Scroll - Group Heal, 5 Scroll - Group Haste,

5 Scroll - Mass Bless, 5 Scroll - Mass Shield, 5 Scroll - Ice Bolt, 5 Scroll -

Lightning, 5 Scroll - Control Foe, 5 Scroll - Acid Shower, 5 Scroll - Madness

4. Fill my purse with coins.

Fills your purse with 30000 coins. Can be used as often as liked, 30000 is max.

5. Give me a Quest Kit of items likely to be needed to speedily fill requests.

My pack is empty so I can see and store these items separate from all else...

Should be used with main character's pack empty. Gives you items for quests

and construction to speed replays. Should only be used once as you won't need

all of this for other things and you'll find much of it as you travel anyhow.

(Based on Schrodinger's Walkthrough "hang on to and construction materials".)

Items included are:

1 Gold Necklace, 1 Platinum Ring, 2 Stick, 20 Wine, 20 Bag of meal, 8 Research

Notes, 8 Stolen Book, 2 Vahnatai Cloak, 3 Fine Waveblades, 1 Shackles, 3 Curing

Elixir, 1 Mortar and Pestle, 3 Fine Leather, 1 Towel, 1 Pipe, 1 Tongs, 1

pincers, 1 Hammer, 1 Graymold, 4 Gremlin Wine, 7 Glowing Basalt, 7 Icy Geode,

7 Swamp Nodule, 2 Eyestalks, 15 Chitrach Claw

6. Give me the maximum amount of Wisdom Crystals, Knowledge Brews and Elixirs,

and 20 Energy Elixirs. I'll spread them among the party and/or store them before

getting more.

This can be tricky, but really handy. You can only stack 65 Wisdom Crystals,

Knowledge Brews and 27 Knowledge Elixirs before the value goes negative. If you

have each member of your party carry the max, and 20 Energy Elixirs you can

restore all your coins 3 or 4 times in the field, and the Energy Elixirs can be

shared, or transferred to the lead character to restore his/her Spell Energy.

They are very light weight, high value, and can be sold nearly anywhere that

you need coins without leaving area. They can be stored in large quantities in

jars, boxes, the ground, etc. without risk of overstacking. If you accidentally

over stack a member just use extras until you get back to 65 Wisdom Crystals or

Knowledge Brews and 27 Knowledge Elixirs.

7. Give me herbs, graymold, mandrake, Crystals, Metals, Leather, Jewels, just

use your best judgement.

Can be used as often as liked, but more than once? Why?

This will give you the following items:

15 Healing Herbs, 15 Spiritual Herbs, 15 Energetic Herbs, 15 Graymold, 15

Mandrake Root, 2 Emerald, 4 Ruby, 7 Fine Leather, 5 Focusing Crystal, 7

Fine Steel, 7 Piercing Crystal, and 8 Bar of Iron.

Check it out... I'll be glad to accommodate reasonable requests for items as much as possible, even if I have to send some as private messages. Have fun! Let me know!

P.S. If you don't like editors please don't flame me! This is for people who do and may want to increase ease of replayability. If you don't like specific things about it, let me know and suggest solutions. Thanks!

I've done some changes to the editor that give you a range of choices on how much (or little) you can increase your party's Stats, Experience, Levels and such. Added missing Priest Spell (Enduring Shield). If you use #2 once you get Level 12 (Slith 10). Your stats/strength increase per each use by 6. After 5 uses you are Level 36 (Slith 32) and your skills are maxed at 30. You can actually use this 19 times to reach Levels 55/52 (not recommended as you become invulnerable). 3 to 5 uses is about right.

You can see all the Mage and Priest spells but may not be able to use them because of members current stats. You can get training, read spell books, get blessed, etc to add usability. (or use #2 again to raise stats) Much more flexable than just maxing everything in 1 use.

I've not seen much response so far but web site indicates about 12 visits other than my own. Hopefully someones getting some use of it. Also, hopefully, with greater flexability on how much or little to boost party it may appeal to more people... Have fun! I am!

I've been lurking this forum for a while now and decided to register after "Beta Testing" your A4 Editor. It was just what I needed! Worked great and no bugz I could find.

It really does encourage replaying the game.

I tested all features then decided to just arm and kick party stats up only about 3 notches and carry those sellable items. Still challenging and fewer trips to "Brodies Bank".

Thanks!

P.S. Making her an Agent for the Crown was a nice touch. And can yo make something to remove large magical barriers?

Quote:
Originally written by Venomousblade:

P.S. Making her an Agent for the Crown was a nice touch. And can yo make something to remove large magical barriers?
I'm assuming you mean multiple barriers. If so, I already have it. It helps me testing the editor. I had to involve a 2nd script to add a custom item.

Not sure what repercussions ultimately may happen if you have the ability to remove the barriers south of Formello or North exit from Fort Emerald. Stay away from crystal box (guarded by 4 orbs) North of Fort Emerald till you see Houghton at The Castle and get the quest for it. Though you can still beat both Dorikas and Rentar either way.

It's not in the A4 editor available in above link. I'll PM (private message) it to you. As it stands now it's hidden (you can't get it from Bodrie and there is no dialog about it with the character you get it from) so I'll send you instructions as well.

I think that if you stick somewhat to the order of the game you can get away with using it. It's called a Piercing Diamond and it can remove the 9 barriers south of Formello and Fort Emeralds 5 as well.

-EDIT: This game is pure art! It's quite capable of serious mods/variations to normal progression of play and is still true to form/stability. I've pushed it really hard and it stays consistent and fully playable/completable throughout. (You shouldn't attack/kill prisoners or other plot significant NPC's however, (see below) and follow the story line on replays to avoid unfinished quests/orders/jobs.) But you can get as crazy as making up an item like a Piercing Diamond and get away with it! Talk about well coded! Cool...

Also came in handy for the Fort Remote barriers after I killed the Vahnatai prisoner before questioning him. I don't think this is an editor induced thing. It's what happens when you've played game several times and you want to beat those sneaky !*@#!!'s to the punch! Couldn't get General to lower barriers because I never questioned the prisoner, just killed him before he could do his thing. Let me know how it works out. And if you think it should be added to the editor. I'm thinking about working on a way to get Almaria to become friendly and putting it in a dialog with an NPC in the area. Don't think it'll go in the editor though. Just a way of finishing Almaria quests if you do happen to get stuck with the eternally hostile thing.
Thanks

Quote:
Quoting: Rebelk418
I went to the link at the top of the page, but all i get is a blink screen. Is there another place i can download the editor?
If you copy the link to your address line in your browser it should immediately give you a save file prompt.

At times I and others experienced what you are describing. It seems that sometimes UBB code doesn't like linking directly to an "outside" download, or it could be browser/OS related. On XP machine, perfect. On 98SE machine, problem. Between the 2 links below you'll be able to download it.

Here's the link to web site. Link to download the editor is on home page.

A4 Editor

Or, to go directly to download the editor click on or copy and paste (if clicking fails) this to address line in browser:

http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/A4editor.zip

You can also remove the editor and restore to original files here:

Uninstall A4 Editor

http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/Avernum4/Restore.zip

Note, all stats and items in packs and stored in save games will stay same. You won't lose them.

I'll send it to you private message also.
Please let me know what you think! I'm open to changing choices or even making you a custom change. Let me know!

PS This works almost too easily. Before install be sure and backup original /data/scripts folder to another folder, and move the 10th SaveGame by load game, then save game to another slot if it's not empty. Might be best to extract to a temp folder, read the txt files, and put A4editor.zip in A4 folder and extract from there when you are comfortable.

I'm making this sound hard, but it's real easy! Just adding precautions. You just put A4editor.zip in the Avernum 4 install dir/folder and extract. Start A4, load game CLEAN TESTER and talk to Bodrie.

Link to A4 Editor probs solved. It seems that sometimes UBB code doesn't want to direct link to a download. So... I've made 2 ways of getting to the editor. See revised links above.

My intent was for people to have access to it only through this forum. But, in retrospect, it's still that way because I haven't posted about it anywhere else.

Apologies to anyone who tried to download and had problems. Please try again and let me know what you think and any ideas you may have.

Thanks

Microphage

PS And major thanks to the ever amazing mysterious -Alorael who's reply to a PM got me pointed in the right direction to fix this!

Quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:
My intent was for people to have access to it only through this forum. But, in retrospect, it's still that way because I haven't posted about it anywhere else.
PS And major thanks to the ever amazing mysterious -Alorael who's reply to a PM got me pointed in the right direction to fix this!
I am curious, why do you want to make your editor available only to those who visit this forum? (If you are trying to increase forum membership here, making a home page with a link to this forum sounds like a more effective idea.)

PS Alorael's name doesn't have a dash in front. He just starts his signature that way. smile

Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
Quote:
I am curious, why do you want to make your editor available only to those who visit this forum? (If you are trying to increase forum membership here, making a home page with a link to this forum sounds like a more effective idea.)

PS Alorael's name doesn't have a dash in front. He just starts his signature that way. smile
Basically I was waiting for enough feedback to help make the best, most versatile, editor I can, wasn't sure about permission (the scripts used are copy righted) to make editor itself available widely (I got permission from Alorael to post it and let people in this forum check it out) and, until you suggested it, I hadn't thought about it quite that way. I have a couple of web sites and would be happy to put links to Spiderweb Software and it's Forums on them! Now that I'm comfortable with the way the link(s) are working I'll do that tonight! Thanks...

PS Have you checked the editor out? It would be great if you had some time to do so and give some feedback. Thanks again!

PPS Member 335's posts and style and the constant name changes and signatures specifically addressing every post/reply kinda makes it seem that "-" is like a title or something. Definately gives the impression you are talking to 2 different people in same post/reply. Will use only "Alorael" in future.

Heh... It's a strong enough impression that maybe I was subconciously thinking:
wink "-Alorael, who's reply to a PM, got Micro Phage..." wink

-EDIT: Links to Spiderweb Software and to this Forum are now in microphage's home page. You can see them by clicking this link: MicroPhage Home

Quote:
Basically I was waiting for enough feedback to help make the best, most versatile, editor I can, wasn't sure about permission (the scripts used are copy righted) to make editor itself available widely...
Ah, that makes sence. If I am not mistaken, Jeff told Croikle (the maker of original Geneforge Editor) that it was ok to distribute, as long as he clearly indicated that the editor was unofficial and unsupported, so everybody else just assumed that this permission applied to their editors as well. (And since Jeff had obviously seen the editor threads and didn't complain, this assumption is probably correct.)

Quote:
PS Have you checked the editor out? It would be great if you had some time to do so and give some feedback. Thanks again!
Sorry, I don't have A4 registered. (I am not too enthusiastic about the game.)

Quote:
PPS Member 335's posts and style and the constant name changes and signatures specifically addressing every post/reply kinda makes it seem that "-" is like a title or something. Definately gives the impression you are talking to 2 different people in same post/reply. Will use only "Alorael" in future.

Heh... It's a strong enough impression that maybe I was subconciously thinking:
"-Alorael, who's reply to a PM, got Micro Phage..." wink
Yes, I thought you might be making a joke about "that -Alorael, who guy". smile However, his name is just Alorael. He started changing his displayed name some time ago to protest something related to custom titles, and liked the changes so much that he still keeps going.

EDIT: Your page looks good. For the editor, it might be good to include the disclaimer about editor being unofficial and unsupported, along with brief summary of instructions on how to use it on the page from which the editor is downloaded. If Google picks up your page, as it picked up a couple other editors, it would be helpful for people to see these instructions and disclaimers before downloading.

Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

EDIT: Your page looks good. For the editor, it might be good to include the disclaimer about editor being unofficial and unsupported, along with brief summary of instructions on how to use it on the page from which the editor is downloaded. If Google picks up your page, as it picked up a couple other editors, it would be helpful for people to see these instructions and disclaimers before downloading.
Done! Thanks for your helpful advice and interest.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by Venomousblade:

I'm assuming you mean multiple barriers. If so, I already have it. It helps me testing the editor. I had to involve a 2nd script to add a custom item.

Not sure what repercussions ultimately may happen if you have the ability to remove the barriers south of Formello or North exit from Fort Emerald. Stay away from crystal box (guarded by 4 orbs) North of Fort Emerald till you see Houghton at The Castle and get the quest for it. Though you can still beat both Dorikas and Rentar either way.
Yeah, bunches of barriers.
Worked really well. I just stock up on piercing diamonds now to save the spaces in pack used by brews and elixers.
You could probably make them a part of the editor with warnings about potentiel effects on game. Maybe using differant characters for special items is good idea.
In my opinion it would be best for people to play the game thru with little or no help from editing. Then have a blast with it for replays, or at least have more than 1 games saved to play with.
I liked it and had no problems at all. It was like the game was written to adapt to this kind of ability in character. Web site looks good. I'm trying to think of other interesting custom items.
Later

Now you can uninstall A4editor simply by extracting Restore.zip from Avernum 4 install folder.

Simply extract A4editor.zip to reinstall editor when desired, and Restore.zip to turn it off and go to original when desired. No changing file names manually to install or remove!

Note: for those of you with custom items: This will remove ability to get more until you extract your custom version of editor. (Example: pierce.zip with Piercing Diamond.)

Uninstall A4 Editor

http://www.freewebs.com/microphage/Avernum4/Restore.zip

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Does anyone have a link to, or could post, the editor script file? None of the earlier links work anymore and I have been scouring the internet trying to find it. I only just figured out how to get the second trilogy games to work on my pc, and I would love to be able to tweak things a little.

EDIT: Nevermind! I just realized I wasn't signed into the forum. Duh! The links to the editor still work! :)

Edited by jeffreystrange

• 3 months later...