Geneforge 2

GF2 is a lot bigger than GF1, and certain features have changed; Living Tools for example cannot be used separately anymore, it's all or nothing. Before you could use a couple tools fallowed by Unlock, which saved a lot of tools.

There are four sects instead of three, and there are a couple new creations.

Since there are Shapers all around there are trainers in GF2, so no more canister spree. If you want to gain the most power possible buy two levels in whatever skill before using a canister, as trainers will not train above two levels.

Shops have limited gold, and lots of gold is needed.

Also, now with the trainers and also various books and such, it is completely possible to beat the game without using canisters, and doing so will affect your ending (good idea if you want to be loyal to the shapers). There are many more spells available which make new tactics available and agents much more interesting to use without any creations, there is now a fourth tier of creations (you won't get them if you are loyal though), anatomy was replaced with a skill called parry, which gives you a chance of blocking attacks (or at high levels countering them dealing damage to your attacker), and at extremely high levels makes guardians very hard to get killed. Now skill point costs for skills increase by one point every 2 levels making it harder to focus all your efforts into one or two skills. Now creations no longer have stats equal to thier level, but only half thier level which causes it to be somewhat more effective to increase thier stats with essence and skill points.

Geneforge 2 is the most fun to play, while the original Geneforge had the best plot.

Geneforge 3 was... well... a little peculiar. Motsly it seemed like running around killing rogues. Full-scale war rather than a story per se. It was more repeitious than the first two games—I guess that's my main impression of Geneforge 3.

It would've helped some if there had been more than two sects, though I admired how Jeff forced you to pick a side rather than sit on the fence all the way through, bleeding each sect dry as much as you could without committing.

But Geneforge 2 was easily the most fun. Hordes of lunatics scheming against each other, barricaded in their separate cities, border skirmishes, canisters lying all over the place just begging to be used, and lots of new terryfing creatures and powerful new spells.

Quote:
Originally written by Spring:
From what I know, GF2 looks pretty good. I think that going off and exploring before you follow Shanti is good, as there are sometimes enemies and you get some good experience. I am currently in Drypeak Warrens, and my creation is a level 8 Artila.
Get a Cryoa. Early on in the ame they can be quite powerful.

If you don't know how:
Train using the trainer in Drypeak Warrens until you have level 2, then read the tome in Drypeak Warrens (with all of the rogue Artillas).

- Archmagus Micael

Quote:
Originally written by Ghaldrings_doom:
No it doesn't.
In the first part of teh game (the demo part), the gameplay is really great.

Then about half way through the game it starts to get a bit boring and just annoying. At the end of teh game you're just begging to kill the enemy boss (or whatever you have to do) just to win and get it all over and done with.

I remember I was really releived when Zachary told me I should travel back along that dusty path again!

Anyway, that's just my personal observation.

- Archmagus Micael